Mysterious Cimatti

Hello:

I was wondering if anybody here might be able to give me a hand I resontly found a Cimatti moped however I have no idea what kind it is the serial plate says it was made in 1978 but thats about all I can take from it. It's different from all the pics of other cimatti's I've found it has an engine and exhaust much like the picture of the 1978 cimatti town bike however the fuel tank is mounted diferently (much like a motorcycle fuel tank) and the seat isn't on a post but more of a bench. I really wish I had a camera the thousand word thing would sure be true here.

However what kind of cimatti it actual is doesn't really matter, The real question I have is regarding oil other people on this list have mentioned mixing their gas with oil like in a lawn mower however there's a place for oil do I need to mix the gas as well? and what kind of oil should I use for either application.

I'm kinda grasping at straws now so any help would be greatly appreciated?

Thank You

Aaron

Re: Mysterious Cimatti

Well,I read your post and it seems I've seen a Cimatti like you describe.Now I don't know how knowledgable you are on 2-cycle engines,so don't be insulted here.When I read where you say there's a place for oil I wondered if you might be confusing the tranny oil with oil-injection.If it has oil injection,there would be an oil reservoir usually up toward the seat.If you do have oil-injection and it's working,you don't have to put any oil in the gas.BUT,some people,myself included,would blend an extra 1.5 0z. of oil into the gas anyway for added safety against failure of the oil-injection system.If you start it and it's smoking some,the oil-injection is probably working.Use synthetic oil made for oil-injection.

Sorry! I should have said an extra 1.5 oz. of oil PER GALLON.

the section in the engine (the transmission/clutch cassing) has a plate that says "olio" (italian for oil). you put sae-20 oil in that. you'll still have to pre-mix 2.8 to 3.0 ox of oil per gallon. you most likely have a minarelli engine, and i don't think those even had oil injection systems.

but .. do i understand correctly that you have a top tank (not a step-through) cimatt? maybe it's a twin sport? do send us a pic, i'm curious at least.

i forgot ... that sae20 oil has to be non-detergent.

Cimatti originally made thier bike with a wimpy fuel tank behind the seat that only had a capacity of 2 1/4 quarts. Cimatti later offered an optional auxillary tank that mounts on the front frame and holds 1 1/2 gals. With the two tanks combined it had an extra long range for a ped so it was popular as a rental in areas like Hawaii. The recommended gas/oil ratio is 64:1 using minearlli synthetic or equivilant 2 cycle oil.

The tranny is single speed auto oil-bath clutch type .

The specs called for a NGK B6HS or Bosch U145T1 gapped at .024

Wow:

Thanks for all the info a few more things I've found ou the motor is made by motori minareli and the cap on the oil says "Esso 20" I assume that means SAE 20. I've been using 10W-30 which I hope hasn't hurt it to much (only run it around the block once) but I'll fix that right away also it found a picture that resembles it quite closly the 1979 Minareli Safari in the photo album except it's army green and has cimatti stickers and cimatti written on the foot rests. A question is the little silver box mounted on the frame above the motor the oil injection because mine certainly doesn't have that.

Thank You for all the input it's greatly appreciated.

Aaron

Is your Cimatti a top tank model or step through?

The picture you referred to is a Top tank. Safari made a MT 400 that looks like the picture your referred to. It was oil injected and had a 2 quart oil tank.

Yeah mine's a top tank model however I don't think it has the extra oil resevoir that people talk about for the oil injection.

No,Aaron,10w 30 won't hurt it.Miguel is giving you the verbatim specs for the oil and that's good.But I've logged thoudands of miles on my Minarelli with detergent oil and had no problems at all.Just drain it more often the first coupla' times because it will cut some crud loose.After that,don't worry with non-detergent unless you want to.(IMHO)

still ... if you can get straight non-detergent sae 20 oil ... why not use that? ;-) but i've also used 10w-30 non-detergent at times. but the sae20 is actually cheaper ...

Yeah,it's alright to use that.What I'm most concerned about is gear wear and clash,Miguel.I actually run 5w-50 synthetic in my Motomarina with the Franco-Morini and have had a VERY Noticeable noise reduction and NO ill effects.You see it has over 9000 rompin'-stompin' miles on it and as far as I know,all clutch and gear parts are original.You see,Miguel,I used to run Concrete troweling machines all day in the hot blazing sun.And I know how 20w will `thin out' on you when the going gets tough.So I always seek to reduce the wear on moving parts by using the best lubricant available.But to each his own,I reckon.Note that I don't use 15w -50 because of the thicker cold weather viscosity.It's probably a lot easier for your `ped to pull you around `cause I weigh 230+ with an additionalv20lb.backpack and 10 lb or more storage bag,plus I take my little 11 yr.old (70 lbs.) quite frequently with me.He loves it! So I need that extra protection for my tranny.Happy `pedding,Miguel!

don ... do you really get no ill effects on detergent oil? i'm curious now. we all take it for gospel doctrine that we must use non-detergent oil. i've had no problem w/ non-detergent oil ... but if detergent oil actually cleans bad/worn/dirty clutches in a minarelli ... i know of a cimatti citybike that might need that ... let me know what's up there.

Right,Miguel! I've never had a problem with 10w30 in the Minarelli or 5w-50 in the Franco-Morini.Just check how dirty it is after a hundred miles or so,and if it's dirty,change it.It definitely cleans things out a little.I haven't run 5w-50 in the Minarelli because of their statement to not use synthetic oil.But that was synthetic oil of 13 or 14 yrs.ago so I don't know.But if it gets to being noisy or clashes on me I'll put the 5w-50 in because of the superior protection factor.Those gears and clutch parts are expensive!Now I wouldn't run it in Puch or Tomos,but I would run Mobil synthetic ATF in them.

awesome. thanks for the tip!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account