Need Help & I expected more from army.

Hello,

I have posted two requests for help on your army board. One by "Moped Newby" and the other by "Moto Man" both on 9/25. I really thought you fellows could help. I admit that I used an incoreect e-mail address on my first post (Moped Newby) so I can not expect replies to an incorrect e-mail address but the "Moto Man" post of 9/25 has the correct address.

Since I have posted no response from anyone. I really expected more from what I thought was a great site with many knowledgable moped owners. Especially since I noticed in you BBQ 5 pictures an orange Moped that appeared to look like the one I bought and you have a couple of pictures that pop up when you look at you site which have an orange moped and finally under your Motobecane pics the orange 1977 looks like mine.

Let me refer those who may be interested in helping to "Moto Man" post on 9/25.

I have never owned a moped until now and I am quite ignorant regarding them. I would like to positively ID the unit first and then proceed to restore it if possible howver, I want to know more about what I've got (and with certainty) before proceeding.

Once again I hope the army can help and I would like to start an dialoge with someone who could help me Id and more importantly interpret info found on my moped.

Thank you,

Moto Man

Re: Help

I don't own a Motobecane but if you'll look at the steering head you should find a metal plate with the serial no. and manufacture date as well as who made it. If the side covers say " Mobylette " you've got a Motobecane. Don't give up hope, you'll eventually find someone who can anwser your questions.

Re: Need Help & I expected more from army.

Sportsbay.com /

What is it that you want to know ?

Try Mopedjunkyard.com . They have service manuals available and pictures of the different manufactures engines. Possibly a phone call to them with a serial # might get you some information. Poke around their site if you haven't yet. Good luck.

Wayne Broderick /

Moto,

What is your question?

We'll do our best to get it solved.

Ron Brown /

Moto Man,

I realise that getting your moped running is the most important thing on your personal "to do" list. It is may not be number one on everyone elses.

I see that you originally posted on 9/25, then began whining on 9/26.

I most humbly apologize on behalf of all of the contributors to this board for not being more prompt in responding.

Personally, I saw your post and even though I own a couple of model 7s, I have no idea if the air filter assembly is the same as yours, so I waited to see if someone else might respond. I am sure many other people did the same. No information is better than wrong information.

It was good of you to refer us to your original post instead of pasting the relevant info and questions into this post. That way, we could all waste our time searching for whatever you were whining about.

I can't add much to the suggestions allready made here, maybe someone with an identical model will respond with more specific help. If not, be patient, ask speficic questions, provide as much information as possible and don't whine unnecessarily.

Ron

Reeperette /

As Ron says - "No information is better than wrong information."

That's way true...and general policy around here is, if we do NOT know.....we don't say nothin.

I wouldn't be too much help anyhow, being that I know jack-diddly about motobecanes...but if ya had a Tomos, now....

-Ree

i'll admit that i skipped your first post entirely. it had "motobecane" in the title. i don't own a motobecane and (hence) no nothing about them. so i couldn't help you.

now, if you just want help to id the bike ... then you need to post some pics or give people something to go on. you mention you're not even sure it's a motobecane? a lot of mopeds may seem to look the same (and i've heard pegeout mopeds look like motobecane?) ... this is especially true w/ italian bikes (a subject i do know something about).

if you simply want to start restoring it... you need to first give us (those who can help yuo, that is) some information to go on. you'll probably also have to wait more than 48hrs (people do have jobs/lives ... at least some of us do).

start w/ the article "how to fix your moped" (aka fred's guide) under the "resources" section of the website. it's fairly universal and should be a good start. after that, you'll have to start identifying parts (most have names stamped on them) or at least give descriptions of them and the problems/condition so that people have something to go on.

i'm sorry you're disappointed w/ the lack of help you received immediately. but ... you do get what you pay for. this is a free service, so it depends on people's availability. people here are really kind and helpful. but they won't post if they don't know how to help you or even where to begin.

if it is a motobecane ... then there are a few people (e.g. ron brown) who can help you out. but be aware that mopeds are not universal and have very very very different engine designs. so just because i can crack open a minarelli engine and fix my bike w/ few problems doesn't mean i can do much on another bike.

I expected the Army to attack at dawn!

aaaaaahahaha!

LMAO !!

Good one Ron... That appeals greatly to my rather large "evil side".

Not sure what to ask

Actually, I'm not sure what to ask. Never owning a moped before and being quite ignorant about them, I am trying to find someone who is knowledgeable about 1077 Motobecane mopeds and who could help me as an online resource with my recently purchased moped. I bought it two days ago and by the time I got it home it was dark so I could not look it over for any information. In my first post I put what I knew or thought I knew about. I have since found a metal plate on the steering head that indicates the following:

Manufactured: 5/77

Serial Number: 51622761

Model/Type: 50 V

MILES: A

I

Need positive Id on what I have

Actually, I'm not sure what to ask. Never owning a moped before and being quite ignorant about them, I am trying to find someone who is knowledgeable about 1077 Motobecane mopeds and who could help me as an online resource with my recently purchased moped. I bought it two days ago and by the time I got it home it was dark so I could not look it over for any information. In my first post I put what I knew or thought I knew about. I have since found a metal plate on the steering head that indicates the following:

Manufactured: 5/77

Serial Number: 51622761

Model/Type: 50 V

MILES: A

I

Re: I expected the Army to attack at dawn!

Ron Brown /

Fred,

Your wecome, glad I was able to add something to your day.

Ron

sorry to burn your time

Excuse me Ron. I wouldn't want to offend anyone who may be able to help. It's just that after I had posted my first request some 10 subsequent posted were done with many replies to them . Sorry to have burn you precious time.

Moto Man

Re: Not sure what to ask

Ron Brown /

Moto Man,

Click resources, then links and you will find a Motobecane owners manual which includes the 50 V.

Your air cleaner is definitely different to mine, a moped junkyard is your best bet unless you can cobble something.

Starting will be next to impossible without the decompressor.

You may want to go back to who you bought it from and make sure they do not have parts stashed in a box somewhwere.

Ron

Pics would be similar to several at army site

Thanks Miguel for you input.

In my original post I referred to several pics that are already at your the army site.

Specifically, the 1977 mobylette under Motobecane in you picture gallary and several other pictures at your site that show an orange colered moped. Please refer to my original post under "Motobecane Moped Identification and Air filter hous" and prior to that "Motobecane 1977 Mobylette Carb Air Filter" post.

My moped look very much identical to those referenced pictures. But as you say looks can be decieving and I need positive ID through numbers on the engine and steering head etc., which I have found and posted under "Not sure what to ask"

Any additional help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Moto Man

Re: sorry to burn your time

Ron Brown /

Moto Man,

My time is not that "precious", but it is mine. If you want some of it, sometimes you have to wait a while. If that is a problem I can email you your money back. : )

Ron

Thanks again Brian if you did not get my direct e-mail.

Moto Man

Wayne Broderick /

Brian, also, you're not going to get much help by e-mail. We do it in the forum, so there is an archive of information.

In the future, someone can avoid all the problems you're having by referring to these posts.

Wayne Broderick /

Not Brian, I meant Moto-Man-- ! My error.

(in regard to e-mail vs. forum posts)

Sorry, I didn't know. I'll Stick to the forum

Hi Wayne,

I'm completely new to this forum and e-mail thing. I did know or think. Hopefully, I'm getting better and will stick to the forum. I appreciate your responses and words of encouragement. Dan, owner of the 77 Motobecane, responded. Hopefully between he and you I will become educated.

As I asked Dan and in the event he doesn't, do you happen to have any owners manual, service manual and/or any original sales literature on the 1977 Motobecane 50V (Mobylette). If so I'm looking for a good clean copy and would pay for your costs.

Thanks,

Moto Man

Re: Sorry, I didn't know. I'll Stick to the forum

motoman:

glad to hear you're not entirely dissapointed w/ us. ;-)

some posts get responses sooner, if people who can answer that one happen to be online. and only ron is on frequently and knows motobecane ... so for some models you'd have to wait. heaven forbid someone asks a kriedler question ... hehe.

i see you got the info from simon (who rides a motobecane but doesn't check the forums as often as some). that's a good start. ron can probably get you the rest of the way home.

i'm really glad you want to learn all about your moped. but keep in mind that it'll take some frustrating research. i only know of three other people in the world (seriously) that own a bianchi snark moped (and one has a different engine). apparently i've become the "expert" on a bike i also know hardly anything about.

also, for future reference, the pictures in the gallery aren't all of mopeds that belong to us. we're slowly building a moped museum (someone else's expression, not mine) and so any and all pics from the web (and esp. ebay) are downloaded and sorted out. the fact that a picture is there doesn't mean any of us know anything about that moped.

enough rambling. i have a moped to ride! ;-) you should go ride yours (does it run? you haven't mentioned that yet, or am i wrong?). if it runs, ride it around as often as you can before winter. if not, let's get that baby up and running so you can enjoy it now!

Re: Sorry, I didn't know. I'll Stick to the forum

Miguel,

I runs now. I am afraid to ride it too much as I don't have an air filter or housing or anything attached to the carb to filter air. I'm going to rig something up tonight and take that baby on the road. Finally get a chance to feel the wind. Hopefully!!!

By the way, just by chance, you don't know of a site that has an exploded picture of a Gurtner carb and air filter housing do you that is better resolution than the one mopedjunkyard.com has? Or better yet know af anyone wanting to get rid of the air housing and element etc.

Thanks,

Moto Man

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account