Motobecane Moped Identification and Air filter hou

Hello,

I just bought what I believe to be a 1977 Mobylette. I 'm not one hundred percent certain yet if that is what it is however, it looks pretty much identical to the 1977 Mobylette pictures I found at your site under the 1977 motobecane photos. In fact, mine is an orange color with the chrome Motobecane on the gas tank. The front light and speedometer looks identical to the sidebar picture that has the Swarm and Destroy printed on it which changes as you view you site.

Since this is my first moped and I have no history with them and I need some education. The person I bought it from was an elder gent who recently suffered a stroke and was forced to sell. He had purchased it from a garage sale and did not have manuals or much detail on what it was. I thought he called it a 1977 Motobecane V50.

Are the Mobylette and a V50 the same beast?

How can I find and interpret some identification marks to positively and correctly ID the moped?

I need all the education and information I can get on this little beauty. It's in reasonable condition. The paint and chrome is really petty good but it's missing some parts. Most importantly it's missing the air filter attachment/box or body or what ever was on the carb to filter the air. I'm not sure what was there as I don't have a manuals or any doc's on the unit.

Obvioulsy I want to positively Id before I start buying some of the other missing parts to restore, but I do need an immediate fix for the air filter. Can someone provide me with some information about what was on the carb or what I can put on the carb for an air filter?

Hopefully you can educate and help.

Thank you,

Moto Man

Re: Motobecane Moped Identification and Air filter

Simon King /

Mobylette is sort of a brand name that Motobecane uses, the actual model and engine is the 50V. For example, I have a Moby 50V - a friend of mine has a Mobylette 50V.

You can positively ID it if there is still a small metal plate on the front forks. This plate will have the year and model number stamped into it. There will also be another letter A,B,or C that will denote the speed classification of that bike. Depending on the year A or C will mean 30MPH, B always means 25MPH. In truth you can usually push about 5MPH more than the speed rating out of them.

it's not scanned very high resolution, but check out the online manual at:

http://members.tripod.com/~oldlady1/motobecane/front.html

also, in the near future i plan on scanning some manuals, including motobecane's, and making them PDF's for people to download.

good luck.

simon

Wow Simon thanks.

That would have been a pretty obscure site to find with out your help. I've looked at 20 + pages of search engine results and never say anything close to that type of address.

Now I've got an owners manual. Pretty bad and can barely read it but it's an owners manual nun-the-less. Now do you know where I can get a 1977 Motobecane service manual and/or any sales type literature on-line?

You wouldn't know what the difference between a 50V, 50L, 50VLA, 50VLC, and 50VLX are would you?

Thanks again,

Moto Man

Christopher /

What you should have said is "Gee, that was really cool of someone to go to all the trouble of scanning his irreplaceable owner's manual just so that I could see it. I really appreciate the effort." Instead you made me feel bad about something that I thought was a benefit to the moped community. Also it is not an "obscure" website as there is direct link in the resourses section, where you might have looked before posting to the help board.

Ron Brown /

Christopher,

If that is your manual, thanks, it's great.

I am unable to print it but it is readable enough on the screen to decipher everything I need.

I even like the intro telling me what a great ped I have!

Ron

Christopher,

"Gee, that was really cool of you to go to all the trouble of scanning your irreplaceable owner's manual just so that I could see it. I really appreciate the effort."

I didn

Hello,

I was wondering if you have gotten those manuals loaded yet. I just attained a Motobecane mobylette 50v 1978 and she's a leaking gas. I was pokin my head around the carb and what do you know the gas is just pouring out of the place air is supposed to come in. What i need are some good detailed parts pictures. the exploded view of the carb wasn't detailed enough for me to see in mopedjunkyard.com. If you have finished with the downloading or scanning then all i can ask is which way do i go. The body on this bike is just way to good looking for me to not fix it up. I thank you.

Ron Brown /

Kyle,

This cab is simple. Disconnect the gas line, loosen the pipe connecting it to the intake and pull it loose, then take out the screw holding the top cap on. The throttle slide and choke will pull out with the cap, just set them to one side, there is no need to disconnect them.

Now disassemble the carb and clean it. For gas leak problems, make sure the float has no liquid in it and the needle and seat are clean.

Ron

cleaned and sparkling. i thank you for the advice, the float was stuck down. but now she is very happy. its almost amazing how many people just wave and cheer at just the sight of her on the road. im going to get a camera soon so i can leave a picture out here but...

Ron Brown /

Swarm and Destroy : )

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account