storing moped for winter

hi all,

since the weather is now starting to get cold, i thought i'd pose this question, what's the proper way to store a moped for the winter?

thanks.

Re: storing moped for winter

dunno precisely, but definitely drain the fuel from the tank and the carb. at least make sure the fuel valve is off and drain the carb. don't want to get gummed up. if you don't drain the fuel, try some of that stale gas treatment in the spring.

i've read that you can put a little oil in the head through the spark plug hole to keep it from rusting. however, that's prolly only worthwhile when you go to start it in the spring. i doubt it will prevent rust, but when you go to start it after storage there won't be much oil on the parts and in the cylinder. a little two cycle oil in the head might not hurt (1/2 teaspoon?).

on that same note, since the cylinder is probably horizontal, it might work better to take off the carb and put the oil in through the intake. or maybe some fuel/oil mix instead.

other than that, maybe cover it to keep off dust, water, or whatever?

how about tying, taping, or otherwise sealing off the muffler and carb with a plastic bag to keep out moisture?

just some ideas.

good luck.

I wipe down my mopeds with "rust check" (ziebart's competitor) and in the cylinder and gas tank I spray "engine storage spray". I found it kept the metal wet longer than the rust check.

Don't drain the fuel from the tank, the tank will rust, leave your tank full and put fuel stabilizer in it.

When you put it away for the winter, make sure it is in a garage. If you don't have a garage, find a friend that has one. If you have to keep it outside, keep it raised up off the ground(like on a pallet or two), and wrap that sucker up in a tarp the best you can (maybe even use 2 tarps). Lastly, let all the air out of your tires, this will prevent them from cracking.

John

Heck, mine is going

Barbara Perkins /

in my utility room downstairs-never mind the garage!. I love my Kinetic! LOL!

alright, so it's keep it full of gas, put fuel stabalizer in (whatever that is), keep it a garage (i assume just out of the elements, the garage where i'll be keeping it isn't heated), and cover it. i think i can ahndle that. thanks all.

pat wrote:

>

> alright, so it's keep it full of gas, put fuel stabalizer in

> (whatever that is), keep it a garage (i assume just out of

correct me if i'm wrong, but you should drain the carb. i think nick was just talking about the tank. you will get deposits in the carb's jets if you leave fuel in it, which may or may not fully clog them. you should have a fuel valve so you can drain the carb and keep the tank full.

fuel stabilizer or whatever is pretty widely available. you can might even find it in the tiny automotive section of a supermarket. i think it's supposed to treat any water that makes it's way into the gas and fuel evaporation.

> the elements, the garage where i'll be keeping it isn't

> heated), and cover it. i think i can ahndle that. thanks all.

unless you're trying to keep it in pristine condition indefinitely, like an antique car, then heating shouldn't matter too much :)

werd.

Yup

Fill the gas tank.

Put a couple drops of Sta-bil in it. (from any auto-parts store)

Drain the carb.

That way the gas tank won't rust inside... and the fuel will be fine next spring.. even though it is 5 months old

sentence

here's a stupid question, how do i drain the carb? would i just run the moped with the fuel valve off, until she can't go no more? i have a honda pa50, and the carb is really difficult to get to, so if possible, i'd rather not have to do anything to the carb.

Secret screw hole

It's easy.... There is a float bowl drain screw.

How do you get to it?

Remove the long plastic cover on the right side by the pedal.

Near the carburetor, you will find a small hole in the 'side plate'.

You have to insert a long screwdriver into the hole... then find the screw and crack that screw open a few turns... fuel will then dribble out of the screw hole... when it stops... screw it back in.

You float bowl is now drained.

You might need a flashlight shined from underneath to find the screw.

Ok, let's say I keep the fuel tank full when I go to store my Kinetic. Would it help to start it up and perhaps run it a bit during the Winter? If so, how often? Once every 2 weeks, once a month?

Sure does help,Peggy! E.g. ;Took my chain saw out of storage day before yesterday and had a devil of a time starting it.`Bout wore my arm off pulling that thing.Today it started right up.Starting your moped every week or 2 would be real good for it and you in the long run.Don't forget to put `Sta-Bil' gas preservative in it if you're not going to use a tank of gas very often.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account