Ree, need clutch help on tomos please

Arterious /

Ok, the clutch on my moped is a freakin BITCH to snap. sometimes i have to use both hands on the throttle to get it to go. any suggestions? o an also, the air filter cap doesn't seem to fit right is it supposed to be a super bitch to get it on or what? seems almost like it shrank or is one size to small.

Re: Ree, need clutch help on tomos please

Reeperette /

>>Ok, the clutch on my moped is a freakin BITCH to snap. sometimes i have to use both hands on the throttle to get it to go. any suggestions?<<

I don't think that's actually a clutch you mean....

In order to apply choke, to start the moped, you push the lever down on the carb....then, when it warms up, and you pull the throttle to full....that lever is supposed to pop back up to normal running position.

That "bump" of the throttle sounds like what you are describing...and yes, if it's that hard of a yank, there might be a problem.

Putting the top piece of the carb back together, it's hard to get that exactly right so it pops off with a minimum of pressure...but even so, if you do that right and the cable is slightly kinked or oxidized, this also might affect it.

Try putting some 3-in-1, or sewing machine oil, down that cable so it goes inside the cable sheathing, see if that helps...if not, check the carb top-end assembly.

>>the air filter cap doesn't seem to fit right is it supposed to be a super bitch to get it on or what? seems almost like it shrank or is one size to small.<<

Yeah, it's a right pain in the ass to get that on sometimes.

The band that goes around it has a clamp that can be loosened to assist this, or at least is supposed to have one, try loosening that a little next time...tho be sure to angle the clamp so you can tighten it back up once you get the cursed thing back on.

Hope that helps..

-Ree

Thanks Ree, btw look at post need info

Arterious /

Thanks for the info Ree i'll try it in the morning. and thanks for the name correction hehe wasn't thinking ;) I started it up a little while ago, i managed to get the cap on the air filter curses loudly thing was a bitch. I went ahead and started it up.. i let it run for a few seconds i got the choke to pop up easily, after a few seconds i noticed some oil leaking somewhere on the carb and went "o shit" and hit the kill switch. any ideas what i should look for tomorrow when i take the carb back out?

One last thing. I might be using this as a trade in for a new moped. if i get it running, no problems, how much should I expect trade in wise? ball park figure. It looks decent, all it needs after i get it running is 2 brake handles, one grip, a chain and an oil cap.

Re: Ree, need clutch help on tomos please

ryan, moepd militia /

all you have to do to the choke is hold the throttle on full and if the choke doesent disengage, then push down on the choke while holding the throttle on full and it should turn off. Ryan

Re: Thanks Ree, btw look at post need info

Reeperette /

>>any ideas what i should look for tomorrow when i take the carb back out?<<

Yes, look for torn, missing, or misaligned gaskets...there's more gaskets in a DelLorto carb than you would ever expect, and perhaps one is torn.

Also, check for float and bowl assembly problems, it may be jamming due to bein slightly off-kilter on improper assembly - you know it's together right when you get just under 1/4" of free travel (it pivots up and down just short of that, or should)

If you have oil injection, you should check as well the bolt that connects to the heads intake (in between the head and the cylinder)...that bolt should have a paper washer on it to prevent leakage, and this might be missing...or the bolt (which is in fact hollow) might be clogged up inside.

>>if i get it running, no problems, how much should I expect trade in wise? ball park figure.<<

About jack....most dealers won't even give you near blue book value, even if it looks and runs perfect..in fact, trade-in value is so awful that it's usually wiser to just keep it and spend the extra bit.

Reason, you can ride the new bike in nice weather and suchlike, and when it gets ugly outside, or the new one breaks down, ride the old one.

-Ree

REE you are needed again lol...

Ok I lost the nut and the choke lever on my carb then I fucked with the inside of my carb to push the little choke knob out, i didn't touch the insides of it. So I start up my moped (Tomos Targa LX) and it runs and I take off and stop then it dies. Now it won't start again unless I mix oil and gas together and inject it into the carb and add starting fluid. What is wrong? Need some advice. Do i need to purchase a new carb? Thanks

$300 for trade in on it, nifty

Arterious /

Had a chat with a dealer near me, i can get around $300 trade in on this moped as is. That ain't to bad :) I might end up selling this and getting an avanti sport.

I'm lookin at the avanti cause its made for better for a guy my size then the tomos. Like alot of other people i feel like a giant on a tricycle while on the tomos.

Re: REE you are needed again lol...

Listen,Arterious! Two new Avanti Supersports have locked up at 35 mph on guys named Davel and Sean.Weak or defective washers in the clutch I think.Better check it out on the forum at www.moped2.org .

Arterious /

Thanks for the info man i'll check it out..

Reeperette /

>>What is wrong? Need some advice. Do i need to purchase a new carb?<<

The mix is hosed...due to that adjustment lever not working.

You don't need a new carb, but you do need to replace the missing parts....mopedjunkyard has a diagram of the DelLorto carb, which should help you figure out what parts you are missing...so you can order them.

As far as I recall, those parts are pretty cheap, so....it's all good.

-Ree

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account