chrome restoration

greg /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

any ideas on how to restore chromed areas? it doesn't have to look perfect.

i saw this stuff the other day called cold galvanizing spray. it's supposed to put a zinc coating on pipes. so i sanded down my handle bar and sprayed this stuff on.

it looked kinda dull as seen in the right side of the bottom pic. i rubbed it with a soft cloth until it shined, then i waxed it (left side of bottom). looks ok. compared it to the silver painted or galvanized bar mount (top of picture).

if you try this stuff, be sure to let it dry a while (overnight) as it comes off easily until the next day.

overall recults were ok. nothing spectacular, but not to be ashamed of either. i still have more chromed parts that are all rusted (fork, rims, fenders, etc.). any ideas on how to better restore those parts?

on the ones that aren't too badly rusted, i was thinking of rubbing them down really well, cleaning, then waxing them.

silver spray paint might look slightly better, but i don't think it will protect as well as the zinc.

thanks

handle.jpg
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  restoration adviceTopic by: greg greg 09/22/01 06:14PM
  Re: restoration adviceRe: Vespalad Vespalad 09/22/01 07:24PM
  Re: restoration adviceRe: dan dan 09/23/01 12:28AM
  Re: restoration adviceRe: greg greg 09/23/01 12:46AM
  "miracle" waxRe: greg greg 10/01/01 03:32PM
  Re: restoration adviceRe: jim jim 09/23/01 09:12AM
  Re: restoration adviceRe: greg greg 09/24/01 12:01AM
  northern's pedRe: greg greg 09/24/01 12:06AM
  chrome restorationRe: greg greg 09/29/01 09:48PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account