Gaskets...

I know this sounds like a newbie question but here it comes:

I need a gasket for my carburettor.The original is broken and I cant find anything to

replace it with.(btw I`m talkin` about a russian-made K-62 carb).I tryed using the universal gasket compound.I screwed it tight as hell with my granpa`s big fat screwdriver but as soon as I open the tank lever the gas starts to drip from carb.

I`m not even going to try using paper...

ANY IDEAS????

And here`s another problem:

I own a Tunturi Sport ped with Puch engine.I have managed to get it running.The ignition is fine and It has a new piston with rings.It starts but it`s weak as hell and the RPM doesnt propably go over 2000-2500.I think the problem is in cyl head gasket.The cylinder and its head are flat from the joining point and the bolts holding the cyl head are sooo slim.I have allready ruined one of them.I`ve tryed maybe 10 gaskets from aluminium ring to my mom`s toyota`s collector gasket...and I still cant achieve reasonable compression...Do I have to buy a new engine???

cheers.

Re: Gaskets...

Which gasket? The bowl gasket?

I would try to make my own from gasket paper. Using scissors, x-acto knife and a paper punch you can replicate most gaskets.

Puch:

Make sure the piston and ringsare installed properly, that is with the ring gaps away fron the ports. You can try planing the head using a sheet of plate glass and some 600 or 800 grit wet and dry sandpaper. You put the sandpaper on the glass and do figure 8s til the head gets an even surface.

Jim

Maybe you're tightening down too much with grandfathers gorilla screwdriver and squeezing the gasket compound out. I'd try again but tighten gently this time.

Ron Brown /

Dick,

If your float and needle were functioning, the float bowl gasket would not leak until you shook up the carb. Check and fix it, then follow Jim's advice.

If the head gasket is leaking, you should be able to see traces of soot a the leak site. You can also apply soapy water while someone cranks it with ignition off. If you can't find a head leak, look fo another problem. Art's advice sounds good.

Ron

Reeperette /

>>It starts but it`s weak as hell and the RPM doesnt propably go over 2000-2500.I think the problem is in cyl head gasket.The cylinder and its head are flat from the joining point and the bolts holding the cyl head are sooo slim.I have allready ruined one of them.<<

Ah....stripped one out, didja ?

>>I still cant achieve reasonable compression...Do I have to buy a new engine???<<

First off, yer prolly venting from the cylinder on the stripped bolt's quarter of it....and no, I don't think you need a new engine.

What you need to do, is either drill and retap that hole, or put a Helicoil in there, cause that's where your problem is.

As for gaskets AFTER doing that, follow the above paper gasket advice for carb gaskets, and dig around your local auto shops and hardware stores for the right kind of paper.

The metal gasket now - find some aluminim shim material just a hair thicker than a soda can, and use that, cut to shape and install, and you should get a slight increase in power, if that is what yer aiming for.

-R

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account