batavus regency--I'm desperate!

eric /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

My new found excitement has turned to desperate frustration. I recently aquired, BEAUTIFUL batavus regency that had been in storage for 14 years with almost no corrosion except in the tank. It didn't start at first, so I took off the carb and cleaned it (it was relatively clean to begin with), cleaned out the tank with pebbles and carb cleaner--flushed with gas, installed a new fuel line, petcock and inline filter, and got it running. I immediately took it for a test run to the grocery store about 11/2 miles away. It got there fine(the speedometer doesnt work but it felt like it got up to about 25 miles an hour--pretty good pick up-even on the hills). on the way back it started to slow down and eventually died. I think it happened when I went full throttle but I am not sure. Luckily it was down hill. I did notice that if went full throttle it lost power until i let up--then it regained speed. The next day I started it and it seemed to run fine so I took it for another run to the grocery store(i have a large appetite). this time I noticed a smoke screen trail coming from the muffler and it lost power right when I got there. It sat for a few min and i started it up again and drove home with no problems.

Next day--realized there was no air filter connected to the carb!(I am new to the world of mopeds and moped repair) I installed a small K and N cotton/wire filter and put a new spark plug in. started it up and rode maybe 4 blocks at the end I went full throttle and it died. now every time I start it up it idles but has lossed considerable power--I can only put along at about five miles an hour if that. it also makes more of a labored, thuddy, clunky sound even while idling. the acceleration/rpms also seems to go up and down even when the throttle is in a fixed position. -noticed rusty junk had collected in the inline filter so replaced it with a new one. and I cleaned the carb again -- no change. it seems to get plenty of fuel(fuel rushes out of fuel line at carb connection, jet seemed totally clean-no build up or obstruction-used a wire to clean--in fact I think some of it comes out the exhaust--smoky and smelly. I took the new spark plug out to experiment with different gap widths and noticed it was black and a bit oily--the top of the piston head had a film of black stuff. sorry for the long description but I want the best diagnosis and advice I can get. the place where the exhaust attatches is oily. incidentally, there is a choke cable who's cable end connects to a slot in the brake handle but no lever-maybe lost. I tried pulling the choke cable end but it had no effect-it didnt really pull out very far--1/4 inch). I used a mixture of cheapest unleaded gas and "mag 1" 2 stroke oil--1 gallon 4 onces to 2.8 onces oil. did the engine overheat? have I ruined the engine by not using an air filter at first? why has it gone from good to bad? how can I bring this baby back to life? any help is greatly appreciated!!!

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  batavus regency--I'm desperate!Topic by: eric eric 09/11/01 09:32PM
  Re: batavus regency--I'm desperate!Re: eric eric 09/11/01 10:54PM
  Re: batavus regency--I'm desperate!Re: Ron Brown Ron Brown 09/12/01 12:42PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account