Credit Card theft

Tab Patterson /

OK...maybe I'm overly suspicious here, but I need to see if any of you have charged things over the net or by phone only to have you credit card numbers ripped off and a buying spree happens behind your back.

I have used my card for purchases this way for at least 3 years and never a problem...that is until Friday. Within the last 4 weeks, I have made purchases from Steves (4 weeks ago - phone), then Sportsbay (3 weeks ago - phone), then The mopedjunkyard (Tuesday of last week - secure web form) and finally Puch.net (Wednesday of last week on a "secure server"). On Friday, I get a call from the fraud dept. of my bank asking me if some purchases that were just made were legit. Apparently, I bought (3) 10 year domain names for $300.00 each, then some music from an overseas music shop. Of course I didn't make these purchases and they shut my card down within 2 hours of the first purchase...not bad service! Thing is, I'm convinced that this came from one of these places...purhaps an employee that's a loose gun or something. Do you think I'm off base? It seems very suspicious...at least to me. I wonder how secure these servers are!

I know...my card could have been lifted months ago at someother website and the numbers were finally sold. Who knows....It's a major inconvenience as this was a checking/credit card and now my bank account is not reachable. The money is protected, however.

was reported here before !

Almost the exact same situation.

Somebody here ordered stuff from a moped supplier and had bogus purchases made on their credit card number shortly thereafter.

Do a search for the appropriate words on this site... I bet it comes up with one of those names.

This is BS !!

Re: Credit Card theft (link)

Wayne Broderick /

Here's one link to a Moped Army thread from awile ago

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/1/3256/3256/

Tab Patterson /

Well, since Puch.net and mopedsonline are the same place, and this has happened before, it leads me to think...THEY HAVE A FRIGGIN' PROBLEM THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED. I read the messages and the M-O seems to be the same. I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had a similar experience. You guys rock!

Now for Bob at mopedsonline...How many of your staff have access to credit card information via the net? If you don't think that that is the problem, is it possible that your server has been violated and is leaking out this information? Are the CC numbers processed in house? Please don't think I am trying to "destroy you." I have no interest other than being a victim of fraud...within a day of placing an order with you. One of the fraudulent purchases were made to domains.com and they had an IP address from the computer that the order was made from. I would have called you, but no phone number is listed on your site at least easily found. I want to mantain good relationships with the people I do business with. I am a 36 year old professional that happens to enjoy Puch mopeds in Waco, Tx. This really needs to be looked at.

Tab

Wayne Broderick /

Bob called the Moped Army "Some Stupid Moped Forum" so I doub't he'll see your post.

Tab Patterson /

When did he call it that? Did I miss something in those messages?

Tab Patterson /

Never mind...I found it.

Thats so sad. You could go to geocities.com and download a CC# generator within half an hour, why must people steal? WHY? WHY?

Unamused with Mopedjunkyard.

Reeperette /

That is the third time I have heard of this particular instance happening after ordering from there, plus a few other minor complaints - it's starting to stack up.

I am still annoyed at ordering a part (ignition coil) and they say it's the wrong one, change the order without customer authorization, and then ship me a (more expensive) part that does not work on my moped, at all.

That troubles me, to make such a charge against a credit card without calling the customer - it smacks of slapdash proceedure.

Next time I make the run to MD, might be worth raising these concerns in person...and if not addressed - boycott.

Given the size and nature of our forum, if they don't listen to us, they'll listen to their (empty) wallets, that's for sure.

-Ree

Re: Unamused with Mopedjunkyard.

XBrandon EdgeX /

Moped junkyard has been pretty good to me. It's about the only parts source I use, or that is, in my opinion, even worth using. Mopedsonline takes 6 weeks to ship a part, and I can't even be sure that moped warehouse even exists as a business, as they never NEVER respond to my parts requests. Is there some trick or secret password or something that I'm missing for the moped warehouse? the moped junkyard has a "credit card info over the phone" option, too.

Re: Credit Card theft/Vendors

Ron Brown /

Let's clear up which businesses are under suspicion here while we still have someone to order parts from. The list of suspects seems to be growing without any relationship to the original post.

Anyone who reads this thread from begining to end is going to be as confused as I am.

Also, can someone clear up a couple of things for me?

Tab wrote:

>Apparently, I bought (3) 10 year domain names for $300.00 each, then some >music from an overseas music shop.

What is the point of buying 3 domain names with a stolen credit card #. Can you sell these for cash someplace without proof of ownership including personal ID or is this someone just on a power trip or playing games?

Ree, if you received a wrong part, charged to your credit card, can't you just return the part and tell the credit card company you will not pay? I realize this is inconvenient, but it does not seem like a very successful scam on the part of the vendor.

Let me add that I have not bought anything from any of these people so I have no personal experience, other than a an email exchange with The moped warehouse regarding an ignition condensor and they were helpfull and friendly enough, even though I did not buy anything.

I have had bad experiences at auto parts, dealerships and motorcycle dealers where I did not get the part I wanted, despite being face to face and having make, year and model information. I think I would have to see a pattern of wrong parts and refusal to allow return for credit or replacement before concluding any vendor was up to no good.

Possibly the new web site could have a vendor comment area, with an entry for each of the better known vendors, where people could record thier experiences with vendors and the vendors could respond if they wished. I realize that bad things seem to get more attention than good, but at least we would have some idea.

Ron

SteelToad /

I think Ree misunderstood, and thought that mopedjunkyard was responsible

for the credit card problems.

Tab Patterson /

Actually, the order I placed with the mopedjunkyard came to me the fastest of all the orders and it was all correct. The service was top notch. It is possible the problem lies with them, but all signs point to the Florida dealer.

I did talk to my bank today, and there were a couple more attempts later that day to get more stuff. Again, I'm not blaming the dealer as I am looking at whoever runs the server they are on...

SteelToad /

I live about an hour from mopedjunkyard (continental cycles) and go there for all

of my moped stuff. I've had nothing but excellent response from them. I hope you

get your credit card problems settled soon

XBrandon EdgeX /

It says that the moped junkyard's order form has 128 bit encryption at the top of the form, but when I checked the properties, it said 40 bit encryption. Am I checking it right? I looked at the properties of the order form page, and I don't know if that's the correct way of checking.

Re: Unamused with Mopedjunkyard.

Todd Fontanna /

Though I have never delt with Continental Cycles, I have delt with Moped warehouse. They mostly sell to dealers just like Handybikes does so they can run behind on their e-mail. They do have a toll free number if you have trouble getting ahold of them.

BTW. The owner has told me that starting in october they will not be selling to dealers any longer so you should be able to get some real good prices there. I just bought a bing carburetor for my puch for $60.00 from them every one else wanted about. $130.00

Todd

I have been giving a lot of buisnees to cycleshoppe.com (puch.net) lately, and they have been VERY helpful with all my questions, and i have been very careful using my credit card with them for the past year and they have NEVER used it improperly. however, there was one place that i am suspicious of, since there were purchases made with my card recently after having used it at the moped junkyead. i have stopped using my credit card there, however, i continue to do GREAT buisness witth them using money orders. Parts are shipped wuickly, and they are very helpful. Scooter therapy is great if they have the parts you need, packages come almost the NEXT day

I have had nothing but positive experiences with Scooter Therapy. I have been to their shop too. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Ron Brown /

Thanks guys,

Its nice to see some positive comments.

I also recieved an email from Ree indicating that he felt his ploblem with The Moped Junkyard was incompetence and not fraudulent in any way.

Ayone have any comments yet on why someone would buy domain names with a stolen card #?

It seems to me to be about as stupid as renting a safe deposit box with a stolen card. What do you do with it?

Ron

Talked to Puch net

Tab Patterson /

Bob at Puch.net was very understanding and was working with me to help solve the problem. I feel confident we will solve this. Anyway...I feel much more comforatable with Puch.net now.

Tab

Re: Talked to Puch net

Ron Brown /

Good news.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account