Sidewalk pedalling

Wacko Wally /

No, I don't want to sell t-shirts out of my moped.

Sometimes either because of heavy traffic or really screwed up drivers that I'm afraid will make a pavement pancake out of me, I wish I could ride on the sidewalk but I can't without running a risk of paying a fine, it's illegal to do so in new york state.

I was thinking, could I just shut the motor off and pedal on the sidewalk until the traffic clears up then just rev up my engine again and get back on the road? Legally, that is.

I asked at the dmv and the answer varied with the person I was speaking to.

And if nobody knows, is it possble than anyone would know where I can get a definitive answer.

And even if I can't, at least I'll still be able to enjoy the looks on everyone's faces (especially the ones in the sports cars) as the kid on the moped whizzes past them on the shoulder of the road while they're going just shy of 5 mph.

Re: Sidewalk pedalling

A ticket is just a ticket until you plead guilty. If you're being safe, and are nice to the cop, it should be ok. Even if you have to go to court, chances are, the D.A. won't even know the answer-- If you make a N.Y. Judge laugh, I think you get off free...

Isn't it illegal for Bicycles to be on the sidewalk, though? If so, you're illegal no mater what.

Don't get to exited about "whizzing by" on the right, a left turn or opened door could kill you.

ride safe.

Jamie Leonard /

You can always do what I do, in situations with a traffic jam or a REALLY hellish corner or two that I prefer not to make left handed turns in, I just get off and push it half a block or a block. Definitely nothing illegal about that, and a few times it's proved to be about 5 minutes faster than waiting in traffic to make a turn! :)

Wacko Wally /

I was talking about whizzing by cars on a defined shoulder, since I sometimes ride my ped on the shoulders of highways and at certain times, get where I want to faster than the cars. The shoulder is usually big enough so I won't smack into an open car door if I stay to the right. Well, at least I think it is, I don't want to find out.

I also don't want to play the ticket game.

My belief is that image counts. And mopeds and bicycles have two different images.

But then, on the other hand, image might help me. I have a targa lx and hopefully the cops will too busy giggling at me peddling the thing.

Reeperette /

>>I was talking about whizzing by cars on a defined shoulder, since I sometimes ride my ped on the shoulders of highways and at certain times, get where I want to faster than the cars. The shoulder is usually big enough so I won't smack into an open car door if I stay to the right. Well, at least I think it is, I don't want to find out.<<

Depending on what state yer in and what route...it is not only completely legal to ride the margin with a moped, it is, in fact reccommended.

I know in MD you can (and should) ride the margin where it is wide enough to be safe to do so, and as well mopeds are indeed entitled to travel in the far right "turn lane" on some 45mph+ highways, like Rte2 - but anything 55mph and up is a no-go.

-R

it's actually illlegal to pedal a bicycle on the sidewalk in most states. a moped is a motorized vehicle, so it belongs on the road. i understand being leary of anxious car drivers, but just take a whole lane (you deserve it) and hold it. make them pass you on another lane altogether. i usually ride in the right hand lane just left of the center ... that lets all cars know that this is my lane. period.

you may find it hard to make a left turn in heavy traffic ... but remember that three rights make a left. ;-)

SteelToad /

I think in most states it is illegal to pedal a bicycle on the sidewalk. In some

areas, it is only illegal to do so if there is no shoulder to ride on.

Funny incident. Riding my ped through downtown, and a couple blocks were

blocked off with orange cones. There was a huge bicycle gathering in the middle

of the area. Being curious, and in a joking mood.. I got the ped upto about 40,

cut the motor just before going between the cones, and proceded to pedal in

slow motion while passing all of the bicyclists lying on the grass. Got a huge roar

of laughter along with some shouts of "hey, thats cheating". The local bicycle

cops even gave me a thumbs up as I passed them.

ah ... the infinite advantages of a true moped. pedals rock!

I certainly can't see why not... As long as the motor is off, it should be perfectly legal. I mean, if I was riding my bike down the sidewalk with a gas trimmer (not that I would... its just a bad example) or something, that should be legal... Go for it!!!

Like others have said, if it's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk, then it's the same with mopeds.

Recently I had to leave the road and ride my 'ped on the sidewalk because the road had been grated in preparation for resurfacing. The ridges in the road present a real danger to mopeds and other narrow-tired vehicles. I didn't kill the motor, but I rode slowly and didn't encounter anyone. I figured if a cop saw me, I would be polite and tell him/her about the dangers of riding on the road in its present condition. I would then hope that the cop would not ticket me because I didn't turn off the engine. But if I did get a ticket for that, I would go to Court and explain the situation to the judge. I doubt if cops would really give anyone a hard time under special circumstances. But if one were to leave the road to avoid a traffic jam, that would be cause for getting a ticket. So I think it depends on the situation--if you're in danger on the road, then I think that's a good excuse.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account