fuel fill up

hi, new to all this. how do you go on a long trip with your ped, if you have to mix oil and gas? can you just bring oil with you to gas station, and add oil after filling up, or does it have to be pre mixed before adding? thank you for your time.

Re: fuel fill up

Not premixing your fuel is a sure way to seize your engine. Next time you mix fuel do it in a container you can see through. If you add the oil and don't shake it, it settles to the bottom. the mixture can then bee very oil rich, leading to plug fouling, or very lean (mostly gas) which will seize the engine.

Riding won't agitate the fuel enough before it causes damage.

Pre mixing is part of the fun. Unless you have oil injection and don't need to.

Jim

Ron Brown /

Tom,

Any good 2 stroke oil will mix in your tank. Allways turn the gas off first, then, If you know how much gas you will pump, put the oil in the tank first, the fuel flow will mix it. If you are not sure how much gas will fit, pump the gas first, add the oil, replace the gas cap and shake the ped to mix it.

I just came back from bbq 5, 200 mile round trip, just carried a pint of oil and measure with me.

Ron

thanks for the replys. no offense to either of you, but whos right? they are two totally different answers. any body else????????

thanks for the replys. no offense to either of you, but whos right? they are two totally different answers. any body else???????? i just dont want to damage my ped...

Ron Brown /

Tom,

In the "good old days", when 2 stroke oils were not as good as they are today, many 2 cycles came with a measure on the underside of the gas cap to allow you to add the correct amount of oil to the gas tank.

If you allways add the gas first so that you can add the correct amount of oil, you should be fine.

For my trip to BBQ5, I carried a 2 oz plastic measuring bottle and an 8 oz plastic bottle of oil. I used a magic marker to calibrate the small bottle in 1/10th gallon increments. I measured enough oil for 1/2 gallon into the bottle, then subdivided that level into 5 even increments. This allowed me to pour exactly the correct amount of oil into the little bottle and then add it to the tank.

The only time you may have a poroblem doing this is if your tank is dry and you do not close the petcock. This would result in raw gas filling up the carb. The best idea, if the tank is empty and you can't premix, is to measure enough oil for 1/2 gal, tilt the ped so the petcock does not immediately get gas, pour a little of the oil in the tank then a shot of gas. This will pre-fill the outlet of the tank with a mix of oil and gas. Then add the rest of the oil and the rest of the 1/2 gallon of gas. If you need more, just fill up with gas and add oil as normal.

When you turn on the gas, the small amount of gas/oil in the tank outlet will be mixed with the correct ratio in the gas line and carb and will be used in the first minute or so of running.

Now go for a long ride.

Ron

Ron Brown /

Tom,

Feel free to try Jim's test in a clear bottle. Make sure you have some gas in there before adding the oil. I would sugest that if you have trouble mixing the oil, you look for another brand.

Ron

Ron,Jim,and Tom:Another way I use in emergency,which doesn't happen very often with my top-tank Motomarinas(they hold way over 2 gals.)is to pull up to the pump and dump the proper amount of oil into the gas nozzle stream.I like to do it Jim's way though,`cause it's idiot proof and after I've went 60 or 70 miles out of a hundred mile trek I seem to lose a little mental awareness,if you know what I mean.Just my $1.78 cents worth and climbing fast.

I remember the people that sold me my Puch (4 sons Schwinn in Wayne, NJ) told me to ALWAYS add the oil first, then the gas so it mixes. They also recommended "sloshing" the tank around a bit with the cap on. I did that and never had a problem...neither did any of my friends. That's my 2 cents.

I mix 'in tank' also

Tom... you can mix it "in tank" with no trouble if you follow Ron's common sense advice.

I will quite often let the gas and oil mix in the gas tank by pouring them in separately.

The worst problem it ever gave me was ...when I left the petcock open (by mistake)... and put the oil in first... then the gas.... the problem was a thick shot of oil went straight to the carb ... and the bike blubbered and stalled several times till it cleared out... then no problem.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account