Ok Guys as my winter project this year I'm trying to hop up my old 1977 peugeot 105. I'm trying to avoid spending lots of money like buying performance exhaust systems, overbore/big bore kits, racing carbs ect... however if possible I still want a fast ped. Now I've had a couple of ideas and I wanted to talk them over with some other knowledgeable people.
1. It seems that car air filters have much less restriction on airflow than my moped air filter. Does anyone think that replacing my foam filter with a cut out of a car's airfilter for a performance filter.
2. Would it be a good idea to buff out the cylinder with steel wool to reduce friction
3. I tried removing the head gasket and the ped ran about the same as before perhaps is some pressure leaking out where the seal used to be? Would it be load or noticeable?
4. Has anyone tried configuring a lawn mower carburator that is built for a larger engine to a moped? How about an entire lawn mower (or any 2 stroke engine) engine to a moped? Does the transmission line up ect?
5. Where can you buy carb jets and are they expensive?
6. Is less restriction on the exhaust system better, or do mopeds need some air pressure to push the piston back into the cylinder?
7. I have also read on some scooter websites that to increase performance you can drill out the ports on the piston and cylinder so that the carb will inject a little more of the gas fuel mixture. Does this make sense to you guys? My logic is that all of the air/gas mixture is push into the cylinder regardless of how big the ports are...?
Well thats it... I didnt really mean for this to be such a long post nor do I expect one person to help answer each point but if you can help out great! Also any other performance enhancements would be apprectiated.
Thanks and have a good bbq