Small Animals

J. Sailor /

Has anyone hit a small animal? In the last month I came close to hitting 3 squirrels 1 rabbit and cat. I have laid

on the horn each time, this only makes the animal stop a second before continuing into my path. I guess they have

the same mentality as cars. I can only imagine what would happen if I were to hit one.

Re: Small Animals

I know of a friend who decided to run over a skunk while riding home, double, with his brother on a 10-speed bike.

They both ended up in the hospital, stinky, drunk and hurt. No word on the skunk's condition.

gimmyjimmy /

I had a bird hit me in the chest, I was driving about 40mph, felt like a boxer's punch.

and a rabbit jumped off a road bank and hit my leg, it did'nt hurt, but that rabbit was spinning circles in the road like a break dancer.

big beetles and bugs is a whole new topic.

I had a friend that hit a deer with his bike, broke his neck, killed him.

XBrandon EdgeX /

One time a rabbit came INCHES from my front tire on a gravel road. I hit the brakes and almost dumped my bike. I always forget that I have a horn.

Reeperette /

The first time I ever used a 45-slide crash-stop, it was to avoid a cat who wasn't payin attention while crossing the street.

Moped riders being generally more alert, and with faster reaction times, at lower overall speeds, generally don't hit any of natures little friends unless they are run into by em.

-R

i almost hit a squirrel three days back.but it darted back into the path of the car in the lane to my left rather than dash for the sidewalk to my right. bad decision (on the squirrel's part).

broke the deers neck and killed the deer?

Wayne Broderick /

I'm reading that it was the human killed.

(Hope it was the deer though!)

-Wayne

J. Sailor /

thats how i read it too

gimmyjimmy /

My friend died at the scene and the deer had to be "put down", it had broken legs, it happened 4 yrs. ago. Kevin (my friend) was going to work on his Harley dresser when the deer bolted out of the woods.

As for small animals, if you can safely avoid them, do it..but don't risk a crash for a critter. Dogs that chase you are the worse, there are some earlier posts about dogs, search it up.

I had a problem with a neighborhood dog that chased anyone on wheels, I fixed his ass with a water gun filled with ammonia.

sorry to hear about your friend.

Many years ago my buddy Bob and I were riding down a back road, he was leading on his 125 CZ motorcycle and I was on my Cushman. A possum wandered into the road, and without thinking Bob swerved over and kicked it, BIG MISTAKE, he didn't break his foot but it was awful sore for a long time. I laughed so hard I almost ran off the road.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account