My reasons for buying a moped instead of a motorcycle are:
1. Mopeds are easier to handle (for a woman, anyway) because they are lighter in weight. So if I dump mine, I can pick it up.
2. If I run out of gas or otherwise get stranded somewhere, I can pedal the moped home.
3. A moped will fit in the back of a van or small pickup, so is easier to cart around if need be.
4. I can park my moped in a bike rack rather than pay $$$ for parking it!
5.I don't have to get a special designation on my driver's license, nor do I have to take a driving test to operate my moped.
6. It's easier to operate because the transmission is automatic.
7. The best reason is #5 above. No special parking spot needed!