gas mixture for Puch Maxi?

Hayden Stevens /

I have a 1978 1-speed Puch Maxi that I got at the dump somehow....I didn't need to do much to get the thing running beautifully and make everything work perfectly...but it seems slow..tops out at about 25... I've been using 5 oz. of oil to 1 gallon gas plus lead substitute from Auto-Zone......That ratio of oil is posted on my 77 Motobecane (which is faster)

is that too much oil for a Puch??

How much oil is everyone else using??

Re: gas mixture for Puch Maxi?

Well stop putting lead substitute in it to start with, youll just glog the carb up faster. It doesnt say "leaded fuel only" it says "do not use unleaded gasoline", as I have come to know the story, this is because during the 70's gas crisis people were trying to use white gas, i.e. coleman camp stove fuel. Unleaded gas runs em' just fine, and I use a little over 3 ounces of penzoil 2 cycle oil per gallon of gas in my 80' puch newport, which is nearly the same bike as your maxi.

Hope that helps,

-rand

Hayden Stevens /

lol

you couldn't be more direct..

thanks

I have a '78 honda and the recommended ratio is the same, 25/1 .. but i run at 32/1 because thats what the oil manufacturer recommends. The bike is old and times have changed.

Using more oil than you need has a few drawbacks.

Carbon builds up faster.. (have you already checked for carbon in the exhaust system?).. More smoke.. The spark plug will be more prone to wet fouling.

As far as a rich oil/fuel ratio being related to slower top speed, it may be plug fouling. At least use a new plug, gapped to spec. A new condenser can't hurt.

Another possibility is that lead substitute or any additive might cause some separation of the fuel and oil, compounding the fouling problem. It only takes a tiny drop of oil (or water) to foul a plug, especially if the gap is small.

Hayden Stevens /

It is only the top end speed...

It will idle forever and it accelerates good without bogging or anything like that....do you think that still could be it?

nope.. i was just imagining how the two could be related.

Not knowing any better, my best guess is that the bike's top speed is normally around 25 mph.

Otherwise maybe a clutch or belt is slipping, tire inflation is low, carbon clogging the exhaust or timing may be off a bit.. brakes are dragging.. lots of things

That sounds about right for your top end w/ no mods

I put a biTurbo on mine and jetted up to a 68, and it boosted the speed about 7mph. A new air filter would help to prevent 4 stroking, but I just drilled some holes in mine and it works great.

does your gas cap have a measuring cylinder on it?

on mine it says

1 to 25

2 filler caps per 1 quart of gas

I dont know how much the cylinder holds.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_Newport

here is says gas tank holds .85 gallons

.85 gallons is equal to 3.4 quarts

the measure cap says 2 filler caps per 1 quart of gas

so... let's say it is 3 quarts when gas tank is full

3 quarts x 2 measure cupfuls of oil = 6 cupfuls???

that seems like a lot for that much gas

Moby mix is 32:1=4oz oil to a gallon. That will be fine in the Puch but most run lighter than that, 50:1 seems common. Oils have dramatically improved since these bikes were new.

Probably Fred /

Even when new and only Dino oils available

A puch was still only 50 to 1 ratio

^Did not know that, never owned a Puch. I still rock Dino oil..castrol 2T and have never had an issue.

yup. 50/1. i get those tiny liquor bottles and fill them to the top of the label. that gets you enough oil for half a gallon of gas. i did the math and checked it with a puch gas cap cup. the red bull energy shot containers are just right for 3/4 gallon.

SkUG SkUGosarus /

http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html i like this handy calculator thingy :)

Using amsoil,What is the perfect mixture ?

> Tommy Faulk wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Using amsoil,What is the perfect mixture ?

Every machine is a bit different . So , you tell us what ratio runs best in your bike . ;)

> Tommy Faulk wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Using amsoil,What is the perfect mixture ?

You just bumped a thread from 2004. You can make your own, you know.

Regarding your actual question; it depends on which amsoil product you are using.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account