MORE SPEED

HI, CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GET A LITTLE MORE SPEED ( 5-10 MPH ) OUT OF MY PUCH MAXI 2HP?

Re: MORE SPEED

Sticky Fingers /

well, the puch maxi i rode, the speedometer said it can go 40, witch is a lie, i got barly 35 mph out of it, and it is from 1974. mabe a new motor or a trans would help. how fast does yours go, whats the year and miles?

XBrandon EdgeX /

A biturbo exhaust will give you about 5 mph, or if you want to sacrifice a little acceleration and uphill ability, you can put a taller front drive sprocket on.

its a 1978 with 535 original miles. it goes about 25-27mph right now. thanks

25-27 is too slow for a 2hp Puch. Remove the cylinder head gasket, it's not necessary. Take the intake air box off and remove a couple of the metal screens in it and shorten the plastic snorkle that leads into it about a half an inch. Put on a 14mm carb and intake manifold ( if you can find one, stick with an original Bing, it'll fit perfectly and won't require you to modify anything ). Use the second or third notch from the top on your main jet needle. Install a 40 tooth rear sprocket. Ream out the holes in your exhaust pipes pot metal insert and add two per lobe on the lands that are provided. DO NOT drill any holes in the last lobe. If your moped was running good prior to this mod but is too slow this will now allow you to bury your speedometer needle. I would also suggest new tires and make sure your brakes work good.

A 2 hp maxi with only 853 miles should go alot faster then 25, i would suggest cleaning your carb, exhaust, and cylender and piston, while you have the motor apart get some new piston rings, like brandon said you should get a biturbo, but that may require different jetting, probly alittle richer. if you can find 1 get a small car airfilter, they can hook onto the carb easily and i have seen it done, it will increase airflow alot. also make sure that your timing is right and that your brakes arent hitting. good luck

brian, thanks for replying. im i little confused on your suggestions.not very mechanically inclined, but learning slowly. what will taking the cylinder gasket off do, and how is it done? also dont know where the air box is, wheres the snorkel your talking about?, and last but not least, how hard is it to change sprocket sizes? THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE, AND ANSWERS.

First off, make sure your mopeds in good running order prior to making any modifications to it. Modifing a crappy running bike won't make it run any less crappy. Then go to your local library and read up on moped repair or small engine repair. Removing the cylinder head gasket and going up a notch on the main jet needle is the first thing you should try, the cylinder heads held on by 4, 10mm nuts and the torque on them is 7 ftlbs. The cylinder head is the finned thing that the spark plug screws into. Once the 4 nuts and washers are off, it'll almost fall off into your hands. The gasket is under it, or most likely, still stuck to the cylinder.

easy. cut off your muffler right where it meets the exuast. itll make your ped a lot louder (which sounds awsome) and gain 3-5 mph and have mad accelration and bottom end. i custom make pipes and exhaust is a ped's weak point.

also switching your sprockets. 40 rear-18 front is a must if you dont have that already.

i sometimes mix a little RC car gas with my gas to boost the octane about 10 points. thatll give you a smoother engine and higher rpms. down side is its acol. and that's expencive and crosive.

open your spark plug gap might help but not too much or it wont work.

hope i helped and i know ill get responces from people telling me what an idiot i am and so on, but they have tons of money and buy all their parts new from dealer. i dont have money but my ped will smoke their's in acc and top end.

dave

Jordan Smith /

Maybe If you put a better engine and not a weedwacker motor on it it would speed up.

Or maybe I'm just a bit confused on your problem

i suggest that you bore out the engine to about 60-65 cc

WHAT DOES REMOVING CYLINDER GASKET DO? IS THERE A INCREASE IN SPEED?Brian wrote:

>

> First off, make sure your mopeds in good running order prior

> to making any modifications to it. Modifing a crappy running

> bike won't make it run any less crappy. Then go to your local

> library and read up on moped repair or small engine repair.

> Removing the cylinder head gasket and going up a notch on the

> main jet needle is the first thing you should try, the

> cylinder heads held on by 4, 10mm nuts and the torque on them

> is 7 ftlbs. The cylinder head is the finned thing that the

> spark plug screws into. Once the 4 nuts and washers are off,

> it'll almost fall off into your hands. The gasket is under

> it, or most likely, still stuck to the cylinder.

i would put a 18-36 gear ratio instead of a 18-40. more of a all around power.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account