!AMF Roadmaster Mayhem!

XBrandon EdgeX /

Well, not really much mayhem, that was just an attention getter. I just got mine running (thanks to the parts Doug D sold me) again and I was wondering from anyone else who owns one, is the performance supposed to be less than favorable? It tops out around 20 mph and has to be pedaled up the slightest incline and into the wind. It's the kind with the 25cc engine over the back tire. I think the clutch might be worn out. Right now, it's the only running ped I have, I'm awaiting a new throttle cable for my Puch.

Be good, stay clean, and have fun!

XBrandon EdgeX

Re: !AMF Roadmaster Mayhem!

Hi Brandon, Its a 49cc, 1hp, Those are bad to stop up at the exhaust port, it is only the size of a pencile! I have opened the port to the size of penny and it gives you alittle more top end (25+)but helps the pulling torque a lot!!! Mabe slap a new piston and rings in at that time also, another $20 (I think) Be sure to check the power head gasket(black thing carb mounts to) they are hard to get sealed good, it will rob your power. Keep on pedding> Doug D.

Rob Gibbons /

i think that little black thing your thinking of is the carb manifold.

Swarm and Destroy!

How do you know the power rating of the Roadmaster? Have you actually seen the power rating printed in any AMF literature?

I have looked in vain for ages!

Cheers, Christopher

Did you try contacting McCoulagh(sp?) the manufacturer of the motor? you could call them with the model number on the motor and ask for the specs from the factory.

Anyway I somehow doubt that the original poster will respond as this thread is just a hair over 5 years old

depends on what year roadmaster. If it is the italian engine and not the one over the rear tire you can get them going fast.

One guy in GR has a roadmaster with a delorto lark carb and intake that easily goes 42 mph

These things were never that fast or powerful..barely street legal if I remember. Better suited for campground etc...certain to be collectors of some sort though,...Good Luck!

Doug, could you just tell me your source for that 1 hp specification for the AMF Roadmaster; if you saw it in an AMF manual, could you tell me which one and the publication date? Christopher

Date Posted: 08-17-01 16:54

screw how fast it goes, if yours runs then you're doing better than most lol.

Brandon, I don't know where you are, but I live in Pittsburgh, and this guy gave us a Roadmaster for free. We got it running, and it was fun for a bit, but it doesn't have a title so it's not street legal in PA. If your interested, I'd let you come get it. It's not it great shape body wise, but the engine is fine.

Doug, which "78" though "80" manual contains that elusive maximum power output measurement: the AMF Roadmaster Owner's Manual, AMF Moped Service Manual, McCulloch Engine Owner's Manual or McCulloch Engine Service Manual?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account