Upon Reliability.

Reeperette /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

As someone who drives professionally and has owned several cars and many mopeds over the years...I can say with some authority that a properly set up, well-maintained moped is of infinately greater reliability than any car.

Part of the problem about "Reliability" is that most mopeds are set up and prepped for sale by morons who know jack shit about proper shakedown proceedures for them...purchased by dweeds without a clue how to maintain them, and "maintained" (if at all) by chumps too lazy to put the time and care into keeping it up.

Most mopeds are bought new by kids, who ride them unmaintained for about 4,000 miles, and that's about how long the brakes last...they keep tightening the damn adjustors down tighter and tighter till they don't work no more, and then when actual work becomes involved they sell it off...and buyer beware indeed, cause most of those used mopeds in that shape are problems waiting to happen.

Think about how most folks treat their old push-type lawnmower...leave it in the garage, sitting, not even cleaned or prepped for storage, never change the plug, never check the mix...and then get perplexed when it's hard to start next summer...and yet, eventually it does usually start, eh ? - that's a two-stroke engine for you...try that with a car, see if it works.

And given my own situation...one point needs to be restressed - proper shakedown.

If you don't do a full and complete shakedown when you purchase a moped, new OR used - your buyin trouble right off...you shake it down, and do it right the first damn time, you don't many of the problems faced on this forum, my Targa's a classic example of what bypassing proper shakedown procedures will get you.

As for other commentary.

>>I wouldn't trust my groceries or getting to work on time with my moped or ANY moped.<<

I rode to work on one five days a week, Baltimore to Severna park on Sat, Baltimore to Annapolis on Sun - every week for three years straight..and in that time, never had a single breakdown or problem.

My grocery runs were made many times on that one, or after it was struck by a car with me on it, the Tomos trike-moped I replaced it with, and again...no problem, cept that you really don't wanna try carryin eggs cause the trike suspension system isn't real hot.

>>A moped getting a flat on the road is a disaster...you would need wrenches, tire spoons, a nice flat, clean area to work and take off your various parts, and a good amount of time<<

Two 17mm Wrenches, two spoons, an air pump, a Tube, and six to eight minutes max....if that.

Bicycle's about the same, in this.

Besides...My Targa has self-sealing tubes with Puncture Resistant tires..you'd have to shotgun them to cause a flat.

>>I'll just stick with my hatchback which gets 35 miles to the gallon,(which I was surprised to learn recently is about as good a sport or touring motorcycle) and is always reliable.<<

Yeah, well...yer talkin to a dude who traded a car in for a moped, once...cause between inspection, emissions, insurance, title, tags, registration, fuel and breakdown + time-effort costs...the damn thing was suckin me dry.

My Moped costs me $15.00 a year - what's yer car cost you ?

Mind, imma Cabbie by profession....I ride a moped cause I love it, but you have to pay me to drive a car.

-Ree

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  AHHH!!! Mopeds are eternal hell!Topic by: AHHHHH! AHHHHH! 08/14/01 11:26PM
  Re: AHHH!!! Mopeds are eternal hell!Re: Paul Paul 08/14/01 11:46PM
  Re: AHHH!!! Mopeds are eternal hell!Re: Jamie Leonard Jamie Leonard 08/14/01 11:57PM
  Re: AHHH!!! Mopeds are eternal hell!Re: AHHHHH! AHHHHH! 08/15/01 12:39AM
  Re: AHHH!!! Mopeds are eternal hell!Re: Heyde Heyde 08/15/01 11:06AM
  waaaaaaaaaaaaaah !! .. :(Re: The Moped Gawd The Moped Gawd 08/15/01 12:43AM
  Re: waaaaaaaaaaaaaah !! .. :(Re: Peggy Peggy 08/15/01 11:41AM
  Re: waaaaaaaaaaaaaah !! .. :(Re: Timmy Southpark Timmy Southpark 03/07/06 08:05PM
  Re: AHHH!!! Mopeds are eternal hell!Re: mbartell mbartell 08/15/01 11:53AM
  Re: AHHH!!! Mopeds are eternal hell!Re: MTech -> MTech -> 03/07/06 04:04PM
  Re: AHHH!!! Mopeds are eternal hell!Re: brystheguy brystheguy 03/07/06 04:24PM
  Lawnmower repair shop.Re: Kev Kev 08/16/01 12:45AM
  Yes mopeds do suck!Re: BHP BHP 08/16/01 01:35AM
  Re: Yes mopeds do suck!Re: Richard Richard 08/16/01 09:16AM
  Re: Yes mopeds do suck!Re: Nick Nick 08/16/01 09:40AM
  Re: Yes mopeds do suck!Re: Seven of nine Seven of nine 08/16/01 02:46PM
  Tire SpoonsRe: Reeperette Reeperette 08/16/01 03:08PM
  Re: Yes mopeds do suck!Re: XBrandon EdgeX XBrandon EdgeX 08/16/01 04:29PM
  Re: Yes mopeds do suck!Re: The original Poster... The original Poster... 08/16/01 05:48PM
  Re: Yes mopeds do suck!Re: daveb daveb 08/16/01 07:46PM
  To the original poster...Re: BHP BHP 08/17/01 02:09AM
  Upon Reliability.Re: Reeperette Reeperette 08/17/01 07:30AM
  Re: To the original poster...Re: The original Poster... The original Poster... 08/17/01 11:14AM
  Moped vs. CarRe: Wayne Broderick Wayne Broderick 08/17/01 04:20PM
  Re: AHHH!!! Mopeds are eternal hell!Re: dave h dave h 08/19/01 02:40PM
  Re: AHHH!!! Mopeds are eternal hell!Re: Rob Gibbons Rob Gibbons 08/20/01 09:04PM
  Re: AHHH!!! Mopeds are eternal hell!Re: ChrisC30 ChrisC30 03/07/06 04:39PM
  Re: AHHH!!! Mopeds are eternal hell!Re: See Ya Moped Army See Ya Moped Army 03/07/06 05:27PM
  Re: AHHH!!! Mopeds are eternal hell!Re: brystheguy brystheguy 03/07/06 05:28PM
  Don't be a dipshit - just use your head a littleRe: Poodle Head Mikey Poodle Head Mikey 03/07/06 06:17PM
  Re: Don't be a dipshit - just use your head a littRe: Xxxxx Xxxxx Xxxxx Xxxxx 03/07/06 07:21PM
  THIS TOPIC IS NEARLY 5 YEARS OLD!!!Re: ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ 03/07/06 07:38PM
  Re: THIS TOPIC IS NEARLY 5 YEARS OLD!!!Re: Xxxxx Xxxxx Xxxxx Xxxxx 03/07/06 08:26PM
  Re: THIS TOPIC IS NEARLY 5 YEARS OLD!!!Re: stinkeye stinkeye 03/07/06 07:46PM
  Not any more it ain't! &lt;g&gt;Re: Poodle Head Mikey Poodle Head Mikey 03/07/06 08:21PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account