NO TITLE FOR MY MOPED

Alright here is the story...I garbage picked a 78 pinto out of a dumpster a couple of weeks ago...motor was siezed flat tires and rusted...Thought I would just tinker with it a little bit.... Now I've got it running great thanks to Myrons extreme machines in Fullerton CA. I love this thing...heres the problem I got no title...In IL. thats not good...DMV can't help they think I should just throw it away!!! No way!!!

Any body have any suggestions??? The only thing I can think of is if I can find somebody with a title from a parted out Ped.. I'm not worried about the numbers matching I just need a plate!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated...I'm glad there are other people like me in this world...everyone around here thinks I'm crazy....

Thanks, Dave

Re: NO TITLE FOR MY MOPED

goto the dmv and see who the owner was and have them put in for a lost title

stonnerdog /

www.its-titlecom

If that web site doesn't explain it you can try to get a "salvage title" or whatever the common name is. Contact your local junk yard and ask about the process and how much $ it will cost you.

Nick

Good News / Bad News

SteelToad /

The good news is:

There are other people like you in the world

The bad news:

You "are" crazy

:-)

Move to Virginia. You can ride forever with no license, title, tag, registration, taxes, or insurance.

I have the same problem with my Batavus. It's a 72 and it's never been licensed. I don't even remember the name of the kid i bought it from.

As Stonnerdog suggested, go to WWW.ITS-TITLES.COM

It will cost you around $75 but it's probably the only way you'll be able to get some sort of title for the moped. I almost ended up doing that because my moped came without a title (I too live in IL), but luckily the importer of my moped was able to come up with a Statement of Origin which was good enough for the DMV to issue a title.

watch out for a salvage title though. some states accept it...some dont and once you get that type of title, the ped can be pretty much be screwed. no turning back after unless you change the vin # and thats VERY ILLEGAL! Just drill out the poprivits in a titled vin plate and pop them on yours. ive done it before and gotten away with it (not from a stolen one, i dont do that) but ive heard storys that you could get a $20000 fine and 7 years in jail so watch out.

Just write up, on a piece of paper, a "bill of sale". Just put someones name on there, the serial number, miles, and make up an amount of the sale. Sign your name, and sign there name. That is all I needed to get my tags in Ohio. A meaningless, "bill of sale".

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account