Re: 50cc or under, 2HP or under

Richard King /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I've got a Derbi atlantis. Never had any problems. It's a "scwheat machine". In VA it is classifed as a MOPED, i.e. no license, insurance etc. In VA it is less than 50 cc and it can't go over 35mph.(Mime hauls a.., 55-60). I haven't had a problem in VA however over in DE at the beach all MOPEDS must be licensed to be operated on the hwy. To get around this I purchased a VA county motorcycle license plate. The officer in DE who pulled me over just scratched is head and told me to drive safely, after he and his supervisor had a lenghty road side conference, at my request. But you must check w/local laws. Best advice is to speak w/a supervisor in either the police dept or sheriff's office for a clarification of the definition of a Moped. Then if you get pulled, mention to the officer or deputy (in a non-threatening way) that you spoke w/X on blank date and he said xyz(basically is is ok w/o license). It worked for me in VA. In DE my Fairfax County, VA license for a motorcyle worked fine, thou it cost me $25.00 to purchase the tag. Of course I had to explain the reason why I wanted a County license to the tax office. They really didn't care as long as they got their money. The police in DE reviewed their law which states it must be licensed, and mine was, by Fairfax Co. VA.

I'll let you know what happends if I ever get caught for speeding in VA.on the Derbi. I imagine the Judge will take a dim of my interpretation VA Code.

Rich

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  50cc or under, 2HP or underTopic by: Bob Carroll Bob Carroll 08/06/01 03:00AM
  Re: 50cc or under, 2HP or underRe: don-ohio don-ohio 08/06/01 10:30AM
  Re: 50cc or under, 2HP or underRe: Fred Fred 08/06/01 01:37PM
  Re: 50cc or under, 2HP or underRe: Richard King Richard King 08/06/01 05:38PM
  Re: 50cc or under, 2HP or underRe: don-ohio don-ohio 08/06/01 07:01PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account