puch timing?

hi ron i hope. i checked the timing on 78puch on the flywheel. no marks f or tdc. so i did the tdc dial incator way.are there any marks for the fire?i have low power on start of hill.good flow to carb,62 main,needle jet on therichest setting.fresh top end.i had this problem before overhaul!new points,no intake leaks,runs a little faster with out air cleaner.i set points to 015 plug to 014 good spark,decarboned the exhaust.im running out of ways to get pull on hill. runs 35mph doggy to start! any help? larry

Re: puch timing?

Ron Brown /

Larry,

I don't really remember the original post. Timing on most peds is 1.5 to 2 mm before tdc.

If your ped rund faster without the air cleaner, do a plug chop to check the mixture or turn off the gas while riding and see if the ped speeds up just before you run out of gas.

By the way, 35 mph for a ped sounds good to me, maybe another Puch ownwer could comment?

Ron

WOW, my 78 puch does about 20 with a biturbo(needs a new top end badly and new gaskets) and has almost no accel. i would be exstatic if a my stock puch went 35. I would recommend getting a 58 or 60 main jet and keep the air box on. i wouldnt mess with the points for bad accel, remember its a 50 cc engine and hardly any of them have good accel.

Larry... How many peds have you ever ridden?

Did you know that they just are not very fast?

When they come to hills... they slow down.

The US Gov says they are not supposed to do over 30 or have over 2 hp.

My maxi does an honest 40mph on level ground (but, a bi turbo, some intake work, and a 17 tooth front chainwheel are the reason.) It does slow down on grades, but the motor makes a lot of torque so it pulls pretty decently. (Not like it would climb Pike's Peak or anything, though.) Maybe you need to sprocket down in the front or up in the rear. 35 is a little faster than they would have gone in stock format so, maybe someone slapped on a bigger sprocket in the front in an attempt to go faster without making any other mods. This would cost you in the hill climbing dept. Stock sprocket should be a 15 tooth unit, rear 45 (I think). Check and see.

hi i checked the sprokets they are the same as my other three.all other three excell on hills.this ped wont pull on small hill.yes i know they are to go max of 30mph this one does 35mph.i did the plug chop test and yes it runs faster as its running out of gas.i remove the air box and run up road and still wont pull like my other peds do! any help larry

Hey,Larry! I would think the plug gap should be wider..014" is pretty tight for most plugs.Also,to check the spark timing,use an ohmmeter to show you when they break.Leave your switch off when you do this.THEN measure the distance BTDC.You'll be close.I've been offline for a few days and I was wondering if you're comparing 1-speed Puchs to 2-speed ones.Generally a 1-speed is doggy on hills,but tops out nicely.BYE!

Ron Brown /

Larry,

You are losing me here. Try complete sentences and finis one thought before beginning the next.

larry wrote:

>

> hi i checked the sprokets they are the same as my other

> three.

Front and rear sprockets?

all other three excell on hills.this ped wont pull on

> small hill.yes i know they are to go max of 30mph this one

> does 35mph.

Do you have the same top speed on the other 2?

i did the plug chop test

This is good! Did you do it at max speed without shutting down the throttle and mostly, what did it tell you?

and yes it runs faster as

> its running out of gas.

This would be an indication of running too rich.

Does removing the air box make any difference?

i remove the air box and run up road

> and still wont pull like my other peds do! any help larry

Ron

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account