motobecane mobylette drive belt

steve morse /

I am a little new to mopeds, please bear with me, I am a seasoned lambretta guy though.

my new motobecane fuel valave leaked some gas onto the drive belt, which swelled up a bit in one spot, now its got a "bump" when I drive it. I fixed the fuel valve problem, but do you think I need a new belt or will the swelling go down with some time and use?

Re: motobecane mobylette drive belt

Ron Brown /

Steve,

I would wait a while, but there is nothing special about the belt, if it does not recover, try the hardware store.

Ron

Dan (Motobecane Cady) /

The drive belt would not cost you very uch and you could get one at any auto parts store. I would also wait a while, but I don't think the bump would go down. And if your belt is pretty old or frayed I would get another one anyways...

Dan

steve morse /

does anyone happen to know what size the belt is for the Mobylette 50V? I dont have the bike right here with me and theres an auto parts store down the street. Is it easy to put a new belt on? what do I have to do? do I need to drop the engine at all?

The belt is a 4L 320 .. I don't think the brand is a big deal, but as long as it says 4L 320 .. it's a belt used on tractors..

Ron Brown /

Steve,

The motor is spring loaded so the belt just pops off.

Ron

Hi,Steve! I don't know how much wear is a factor,but the best belt made is a BROWNING extra duty.Don't substitute the 4L for anything else.If you get a 5L or 3L it probably won't work right.Get the Browning belt at NAPA if you have one close.The next best is a Gates green belt.BYE!

steve morse /

thanks guys, got the right belt and put it on last night. the thing drives SAAAWEEET now. I use her as my pit bike, and we're going racing at Loudon tommorow...cool.

Steve

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account