Rear Sprocket upgrade

Wayne Broderick /

Tomos 2000 Targa

Would a rear sprocket upgrade make much difference? I need to put a new rear tube on soon and I may do the power sprocket on the rear..

was only like 14 bucks at the moped junkyard online...

Also, i'm probably going to go with a solid or puncture gelled rear tire if anyone has any suggestions. I was thinking of 'slime' they sell it at most bike shops and you inject it yourself through the valve stem

Re: Rear Sprocket upgrade

Hi,Wayne! I'd have to know about whether it will freeze at zero degrees F or possibly settle in cold weather and throw the tire's balance off before I used it.

Reeperette /

Tires...I go Cheng Shin, all the way, to my experience the best moped tires they make.

Tubes...I go to Walmart and buy "BELL Self-Sealing" bicycle tubes, and I buy them 1-inch larger than the tire they go in, they work very well and will not freeze in subzero temps (handy being that I live in Michigan)....the extra rubber from buying a size large seems to help on the puncture-resistance as well.

I've only had one flat since, and that from a small panelling nail that tore eight holes in the damn thing cause it went in there and spun.

Rear Sprocket, well...you will lose a bit on the takeoff/power end, and get it back on the top speed end, it's well worth the $14 - but consider your driving area and habits...if you are jumping from red light to red light in the city, it's going to be much less help than longhauling it down the local main drag.

Still worth $14, tho, yes.

-Ree

Reeperette /

Oh, duh me...I thought you had meant the 27 sprocket, if you mean the 25, then you'll get more low end, but lose out on the top speed - it's all in your driving habits and area...which will do you more good.

-Ree

Rear vs Front sprocket

SteelToad /

The 27 and 25 tooth sprockets available for the Tomos are the front sprocket.

It doesnt seem like it's possible to go any lower than the 22 on the rear of

the Tomos. If there were a way, I definately would. I've been trying to see if the

rear wheel from another brand would work there, one with a smaller/matching

sprocket.

Re: Rear vs Front sprocket

Reeperette /

Duh...brain glitch...Yeah, I didn't see "rear" sprocket on there.

They make a rear-sprocket kit for Tomos ? or is this a custom job ?

-Ree

SteelToad /

I haven't seen one, but its not for a lack of looking. I think the 22 tooth rear

is as small as you could go. Any smaller and the chain will get wedged between

the hub and the mounting area. (bummer). Thats why I was kinda hoping to find

a rear wheel off of something else that would work and have a smaller sprocket.

Either that or have a 30+ tooth sprocket made for the front. I've kinda decided on

the BIG front sprocket, but havent gotten around to sending out to get it done.

Wayne broderick /

I looked too quick on the Junkyard site. They sell replacement rear sprockets but they aren't for power or speed... just standard replacement.

Doh!

Wayne broderick /

I looked too quick on the Junkyard site. They sell replacement rear sprockets but they aren't for power or speed... just standard replacement.

Doh!

SteelToad /

Yes, but they also sell replacement front sprockets for more torque or front end.

They are very easy to change.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account