recived puch 1979 maximum

manning blanchard /

ok, i have no key, any way to get around this?

it says leaded gas only, what do i do ?

it dosnt run, i know cars and stuff, but like do these things have a battery or the such? anyone with a puch 1979 maxium i would LOVE to talk to ya about it

please respond

manning

alexandria,VA

Re: recived puch 1979 maximum

manning blanchard /

sorry, this is a magnum,:) im new

just use regular gas.make sure your off /on switch is on.

I have a 78 Magnum. I have had quite a few Puchs over the years. If its complete, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting it running. That's a great bike and they are becoming quite valuable to boot. I also live in No. Va. and would be willing to give you hand should you ever need one. They do not have a battery or an ignition key. The only key they use is to lock the steering head. If its unlocked, don't worry about it. Good luck!

Doug Davidson /

hey there, I also have 2 78 Puch Magnums, I bought these one to fix up the other, just have to get time to put one togeather, so when done I will have spare parts for sale. No intention of keeping either, just fix and sale. Doug D. in Roanoke, VA.

manning blanchard /

doug, dan, and paul, thanks for your replys:), do any of you use Aol instant messanger?

if so you can reach me at

Diddly420

i find this a conveniant way to talk about things as answers are more direct vs. on a forum.

i was playing with the bike today a little, and the switch for fuel, has off, on, and RES??(whats this?)

if i unscrew the fuel switch from the tank, fuel comes out, if i unscrew the fitting on the end going to the carb?!? , and turn the switch to on, no fuel flows, that cant be good eh?

this bike has been sitting for quite a while also, the tires dont look that great, where should i look for tires? are they normal bike tires?

also you VA guys what are the laws in VA on mopeds?

thanks and sorry for all the oddball questions, i have read the "why your bike dont run" thing and still am lost:)

peace

manning

doug, dan, and paul, thanks for your replys:), do any of you use Aol instant messanger?

if so you can reach me at

Diddly420

i find this a conveniant way to talk about things as answers are more direct vs. on a forum.

i was playing with the bike today a little, and the switch for fuel, has off, on, and RES??(whats this?)

if i unscrew the fuel switch from the tank, fuel comes out, if i unscrew the fitting on the end going to the carb?!? , and turn the switch to on, no fuel flows, that cant be good eh?

this bike has been sitting for quite a while also, the tires dont look that great, where should i look for tires? are they normal bike tires?

also you VA guys what are the laws in VA on mopeds?

thanks and sorry for all the oddball questions, i have read the "why your bike dont run" thing and still am lost:)

peace

manning

PS: sorry i have no idea how this whole forum thingy works:)

damn i smile alot

Well. you don't necesarily have a problem... yet. See, the fuel petcock (switch) has three settings: On, Off, and Reserve. There is like a straw that extends upwards into the fuel tank from the petcock. When the valve is turned to "on" fuel is drawn from the top of the straw down into the carb. When the fuel falls to below the the top of the straw in the tank, there will be usually a couple inches left that can be utilized by turning the valve to "res". Now the fuel is drawn right from the base of the valve instead of the straw so you can get to a gas station or home on the little you've got left. If no fuel drains from the valve in the on position, then try turning to reserve. If there is gas in the tank and none comes out, then the petcock is probably clogged and must be blown out w/compressed air. If there is literally only a few drops in the tank, sometimes its even to low for the reserve setting to work.

Try mixing up some new gas (50:1 ratio gas to oil, this is CRITICAL) and see if you have any luck. If you can get fuel to flow down into the carb and you have spark, you should be able to get going. But, before you try to run it, you should swap out the old trans fluid. There's a drain plug on the bottom of the engine case and a filler screw on the right side. (It should have a sticker there) It takes Type F ATF which can be obtained at your local Trak Auto.

Good Luck!

By the way, JC Whitney is the place to go for the cheapest tires. They sell a "Universal Tread Motorcycle Tire" in 17" X 2.25" (which should be correct although, the Magnum may use a 17" x 2.50" tire. Check first) for only $15.99 and tubes for only $4.19. That's way cheaper than any moped place will sell 'em, even with shipping charges! They are no worse than the Cheng Shin brand tires that they'll try to sell you for like $25.00 a pop.

Hi,Paul! How about the load range of the Whitney tires and the sidewall strength and flexibility? I don't know if Avanti has 17" tires,but if they do I'm tempted to use their type because of the toughness required for the heavier bike(150 lbs. plus a large carrying capacity).What do you think?

Claimed max load is 255lbs. That's down a little from the 300lbs that Semperits have as a published load range figure. As for sidewall strength, they are a little more flimsy than say a good Semperit tire, but no worse than the tawainese tires I've seen. Tread depth is pretty good, though. You might not want to use them on a heavy, high performance moped but, they seem to do fine on my relatively stock Maxi.

Va laws are really lax. You have to be 16, but you need no license, registration, or insurance. Mopeds include anything w/50cc displacement and 2bhp or less regardless of whether it has pedals or not. So, 50cc scooters are classified in the same boat. If you've lost your license, you're not supposed to operate one of these things either, but people do. The moped/scooter is a very popular vehicle of last resort around here. I have never been, nor seen one get stopped by the cops no matter how fast I/it was going. Even 12 year olds hauls ass around town on them. Cops just don't seem to be interested in them unless the operator is doing something manifestly illegal, stupid, or both.

Makes me want to move to `ol Voginny'!That IS lax! And also great! (;-)

manning(the new kid) /

hey guys got the bike to my house today and got some findings done

#1. you have to hold that black lever:) i didnt know that, gee im stupid

#2 still no start

#3. dont see a spark but could be wrong as i was doing this myself

#4 DONT DO THIS STUFF IN YOUR BEDROOM! :)

my whole room smells like old gas, yuk!

pulled the fuel valve out, it has a filter thingy on it, i guess this is the reserve straw, VERY gunked up at the bottom, cleaned it as best i could,(remove gunk from outside of it) and still no flow when on, ON, or RES

i didnt blow threw it for health purposes, dose the filter thingy/straw come off the valve?, do i need a new valve to get a new filter thingy?

drained all the old gas, mabey 12oz of it:) so mabey there wasnt enough gas

it's late so i will mess with it tomarrow morning

also i need to buy a spark plug , what model # am i looking for?

thanks guys

manning

It could be that the valve is totally clogged, but probably not. Its gross, but putting your lips up to the nozzle end and blowing through it will tell you definitively whether gas can flow through it in the various switch positions or not. Or, you could just slip on a length of clean fuel tubing if you're worried about it.

As for the spark, you need to make sure that the plug itself is good, use a new one. (I'm sorry I don't remember off the top of my head which Bosch plug it takes.)

You must make sure the little three position "Off, Run, Off" switch the Magnum uses in the On position.

Lastly, you have to ground the base of the plug against the head while turning the motor over.

This is a difficult operation for one person as you have to hold the black lever, turn the pedal crank, and ground the plug at the same time while looking for a spark. Zip tying the starting lever down alleviates some of the misery. If still no spark, you're probably talking points, coil, or condenser issues. Good Luck!

Paul.

Getting Started

SEE ATTACHMENT!

Here is how I usually start my 1978 Puch Magnum MK II:

(Basically the same but this might be easier to read)

Stand on the right side of the moped

Put the moped on its stand

Make sure the kill switch is in the RUN position

Turn the fuel valve to ON position

Press down the choke

Rock the moped forward so the back tire is off the ground

Pull back the starting lever

Slightly twist the throttle (without releasing the choke)

Push down the pedal with your foot

startmagnum.GIF

Spark Plug #s

Well, I guess that scan didn't work. Oh, Well. (I'll try one more time)

The spark plug model #s for my 1978 Puch Magnum MK II are:

Bosch W 7 A (W 175 T 1)

NGK B-6H or B-6HS

Champion L 86

Note: Gap .016-.020 in. (0.4-0.5 mm)

startmagnum.jpg

Let me know when you are ready to sell.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account