Wheel Balancing

Can anyone give me advice on how to go about balancing a spoked wheel? For instance, if you had it in a make-shift stand and you identified the place where it was wobbling, would you loosen or tighten the spokes in that area? What would you do about the rest of the spokes? If this is something better left to pros, then I'll pay to have it done but i'd rather not if possible. Thanks!

Re: Wheel Balancing

Hi! You have to pay attention to the circumference as well as the wobble.If you aren't accomplished at this take it to a repairman.BYE!

Ron Brown /

Paul,

You can do it with a little patience as long as it is not too big a wobble. You can do the adjustment in the frame of the ped. Raise the appropriate end off the ground and remove anything which prevents it from spinning freely. Make a pointer by twisting a piece of wire around one of the forks with the end of the pointer close to the wheel rim. Spin the wheel and check for radial (up and down) and side to side wobble. If you have a significant flat spot causing radial run-out, consider buying a new rim.

Life is much easier if you have a spoke key, a bicycle spoke key works fine and is fairly cheap, but a small crescent wrench will work. Mark the rim or tire where the wheel wobbles and mark it with something easy to see and erase. The plan is to loosen the spokes on the side toward which the wheel is bent, then pull the rim back in line by tightening the corresponding spokes on the other side.

You might want to check all the spokes for tightness before you begin, you should be able to hear loose spokes by tapping them with a wrench. tight spokes ping, loose spokes clunk.

Evaluate the location of your loose spokes relative to the wheel wobble before tightening as it is better to tighten in a sequence which tends to pull the wheel straight. In any event, tighten them evenly, no more than 1/2 turn at a time, checking for wheel run out as you go. Sometimes, you will find that tightening the spokes on one side of the wheel will true the wheel and tighten the spokes on the opposite side at the same time.

If all your spokes are reasonable tight and the wheel is still not true, use the "loosen high side tighten low side" method. High/low being a reference to the wire pointer on the fork, not up and down run out of the wheel. When loosening/tightening, turn the center spoke a max of 1/2 turn and the 3-4 spokes on either side, progressively less.

Go for it.

Ron

Paul.Let us know if you're successful.That post by Ron is pretty explicit,so you might come out O.K. BYE!

Thank you both for the information! I will give it a go. The wobble isn't too severe, so hopefully it will straighten out fairly easily. The local moped place likes to charge a pretty healthy hourly rate 'round here and I'd like to keep from being parted with what little green I have! Happy motoring!

Dave

Ron Brown /

Paul,

One thing I forgot, if you have to tighten any of the spoke nipples more than a couple of turns, you should pull the tire and check for spoke tips protruding into the rim. Good way to get a flat.

Ron

Thanks,Ron! That one got me once before also,and since I hardly ever have to worry with it,I had forgotten that.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account