Faster Honda Spree?

I saw on Ebay recently a Honda Spree whose speedometer claimed that it topped out at 50mph, but, of course, the seller said it only got to 37mph. Either way, that is far faster than any other Spree I have seen. Was this a special package? Or was it standard in 1983 (when this scooter was made)? Are these things rare at all or fairly common?

Re: Faster Honda Spree?

That is not a Honda Spree. That bike is a 1983/1984 Honda Aero 50 (NB50). I had a 1986 Honda Aero and it did 38-40 MPH with ease. However, the dash on that Honda Aero is only for that 1983/1984 model, I think they reolized that those little scooters couldn't make it past 40 MPH, so the extra 10 MPH of space on the dash was a waste.

No, its a Spree...

Here, go to this link to the auction itself and look at the photo of the speedometer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll ViewItem&item=593412081&r=0&t=0

Oh, wait, shit, I just checked the auction and it does say Aero. Son-of-a... I hate when I don't look at the details.

You're right.

Do you think the dimensions are similar to that of the Spree or is the Aero bigger and heavier?

Re: You're right.

The Aero is bigger and probably heavier than the spree. IMO the Aero looks alot better than the Spree, but thats just my opinion.

-W!$KY

Re: Spree vs. Aero

I have yet to see a stock spree do more than 25mph and even with the 60cc jcc piston plus porting & jetting my friend's spree only managed 40mph. I sold my 87 aero engine about 2yrs ago with limited hi- performance parts i was clocked at 55 mph, i still have the aero but it has been upgraded with a sa50-82cc full stroker and is tricked out to the max, it will do 70+mph! i even found a 68cc kit for the honda express,i have 1 kit on order...

Damn maddog, that seems awesome. I really wish I could drive my Aero leagally, I had to sell it and buy a Targa (shitty NJ moped laws, must have pedals). Im concidering fitting my Targa with a bore kit, but i am not sure yet.

May i ask if you go on the highway with your little Aero and move into the fast lane? People must be amazed when they see the little scooter pass them as they go 55 and you go 73 MPH. Imagine pulling up to some assholeish teenagers in a Civic thinking that they're all that; and when the light turns green, you punch the Aero's throttle, pulling a wheelie and pulling ahead of the Civic EX in the 45 MPH zone at 70 MPH. . . .ahhh, im drooling over YOUR bike, what a sad person I am :-(

-W!$KY

If you go to www.scootertherapy.com they show you how to install a 70cc bore kit on a tomos, they claim 50mph which to me is not that great. I am installing a 72cc kit on my elite-s and i should do 60+mph, hey they also have a 114cc kit, i talked to a guy that drives by my place everyday he takes his ped to the track and does high 90's i would love to build one of those! I did the freeway blast only 1 time,and if i didn't have those stupid trade winds holding me back i cudda gone faster...

DA-Gonnit,Maddog! You're gonna peel that mirage paint offa that thing yet.

Rob Gibbons /

i am very familiar with honda scooters and this might have actually been an 80cc scooter, the model other than the 50cc. Like a big brother, the 80cc model you must have a motorcycle license to operate.

Nope, its an 87 aero with the newer sa50 engine only i installed an 82cc bore kit + stroker crank by polini, hey Don the mirage paint is on my honda elite-s,i am installing a mild 72cc polini bore kit i use this one for work so i will keep it mellow, i even found a 68cc polini kit, carb & race pipe for the express, this kit is reserved for themopedwiz, i love playing with these toys.

I have a 1983 Aero 80 and i can get it to go 50mph with premium gasoline. sadly to say i cant ride it due to motorcycle license required. ( :s(( ) I garaged it for the next 2 years while i put mile on a Avanti Supersport. The damn thing is so heavy compared to the supersport but the shocks and handleing are so much better. The only flaw with scooters and small bikes is that they are not allowed on the interstate. Some federal agency made it that you have to have displacement of 250cc before it is interstate legal. That was why honda made the Helix 250(Touring Scooter).

Hi,Maddog! Are you telling me that 20.00 mirage kit will paint a whole Elite-S?How could they sell that so cheap? That would paint 2 mopeds,wouldn't it?Yeah,I saw you talkin to the Whiz on the other forum and you got him pretty excited,looks like.

Just on verge of buying Honda Aero 50 with 3000 km. Seems to run well, carb cleaned up with new battery. Live in New Brunswick Canada. Any insights on bike? Suggested value/ Thngs to look for / be wary of? I called Honda Canada today ahd they said in had a 49.3 cc so I should be OK driving it without a bike license.

Most Hondas are very well made.

So you should be fine.

Be wary of ??

Yeah... your own government... some guy who posted here (from your part of Canada) got caught without the proper insurance and registrations and was assessed $1200 in fines.

!!

I want to buy a spree, the person i am buying it from said it was the last honda spree made like a limited eddition or something. and he also said it was the only white spree in that model. Is that all true? and one more thing I was woundering what is the average speed of that model of a spree?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account