SPRAYED CARB CLEANER IN MY EYE!!

Yep, thats right, lol stupida$$ me sprayed carb cleaner in my eye when cleaning out the carb on my honda express. It was my first time ever cleaning out a carb, so I had no experience and wasnt thinking, i sprayed the cleaner in one hole on the opposite side, and it sprayed out the hole facing me right in to my eye with a lot of pressure and man did it HURT!!! It stung for a while, I screamed, my mom called the doctor and they made her call poison control, then i had to stand in my shower for an hour and let the water run in to my eye and clean it out. Thank god I got it out, it still stings, but Im ok. lol...what a stupid experience! well, at least I got my moped working again, fixed the problem with the 20mph ideling and the stuck throttle, thanks for your help guys, Ross.

Re: SPRAYED CARB CLEANER IN MY EYE!!

Louie Armstrong /

that happenedto me but ionlygot alittle in and didnt tell anybody, so I sat around blinking a bunch and now its better.if you spray it on your hand, your skin feels really weird and then dries out later.

Been there. Done that. I didn't know what to do either. Luckily my room mate did. He filled up a pot of water and had me dunk my head in it and blink a bunch.

Yeah, when you clean carbs, you never know which hole it might spray out of...gotta be careful!

Oh, man, I did this but on a carb---

you're in there, up close 'cause you want it to go down into the carb under the air cleaner on those old cars....

when you get a blast of that stuff in both eyes--- it hurts so much I literally forgot what it even was I was doing that could hurt like that.

the pain from my moped accident--- 30k in medical-- nothing compared to an eyeful of carb cleaner.

I think the worst pain I can remember is the time I opened a sliding van door and a 5 gal unopened pail of sheetrock mud fell out and landed (just the edge) onto my bare foot. it left a half moon shape and I screamed and hopped for a few minutes.

I also screamed out loud with the carb cleaner-- an "aaarrrrggghhh" where the foot incident was loud sharp screams intermixed with vulgarity.

I did scream at the moped accident but that was more from shock than pain--- that was with the wind knocked out of me..so it was a ghastly sound....

that's it. even when I broke my arm as a kid it wasn't "scream out loud" pain. an eyeful of starting fluid is bad too...looking into the pug hole and getting an eyefull of backwash.... damn

Tab Patterson /

You might not want to ever try roll-on bed liner with sand grit. Trust me...it burns, scratches and makes your sinus cavity spontaneously start bleeding from what, I don't know. I couldn't see out of that eye for 3 days.

Timmy Southpark /

i got Wd-40 in my eye once, and it stung! I didn't tell anyone, and it probaly messed my eye up, but...

lol...ya it really stung my eye like crazy, it still hurts, but at least i can see out of it now, and it's a lot better. Poison control said that iif I swallowed it I wwould have gone blind, I dont know how you would get blind from swolowing it, and be safe when it gets in your eye...but thats what they said lol.

that's why they call it "blind drunk"" people used to drink wood alcohol and literally become blind

temporarily or forever?

I used to work at a diesel shop where we worked on farm equipment and trucks that haul caliche , which is about the only hard rock that you can get out here- it's the gravel on the "improved roads" You get it wet and run over it a few times and it turns back into some sort fo clay.

My first job was to clean out trailer bearings- in a naphtha parts washer- I remember him saying " if you want you can wear gloves, but usually they just fill up and hold it against your skin." First day wasn't so bad, but after about 3 days, my hands were red, white and flaking. It hurt to move them. That's the first chemical burn I've ever had, and now whenever I get naphtha on my hands it burns. The freaky thing is, since I worked there, the skin on my hands has gotten really thick, and sheds every 2 weeks- If I don't scrub them with an abrasive soap, I can peel the skin off lizard style.

I've gotten everything in my eyes at one time or another- and it sucks to wear glasses because it seems like the fog just stays there.

I once got fork oil in my eyes and mouth while trying to empty my forks on my yam, I pushed down a little too sharply and that went everywhere, My eyes didnt hurt so much but my shoulders and chest were sore for about three days. I told my dad about it and he just laughed but when a spatter of weld landed on his foot while fixing my exhaust he almost hit me cos I laughed lol!

Anyway I need food.

Mat.

P.S. I heard that dog shit can make you blind if you eat that too :S

Chris Artinger /

hahaha my dad got it in his eyes once working on our 68 mustang fastback it went in the hole and back out towards him all in his mouth too

where you people smoking pot while you did that? lol jesus..

One time i was lowering a car with drop springs and while underneath it my friend accidentally punctured the air conditioning radiator with a screwdriver and freon shot all over my face.

That was sweet.

I was working on the gas line on my car once, I was under the car and I had to put my finger over the end of the line to keep the tank full of gas from pouring out every where, it ran all down my arm onto my shoulder and some gas dripped in my eye. I had to lay there for like 15 minutes and I could feel the gas burning my skin. It turned all red and I smelled like gasoline for the next 2 weeks. Fun stuff.

spraying carb cleaner cant hurt as much as having back surgery

now that hurts

last year i had scoliosis surgery and now i have 2 steel rods in my back. i cant feel them now but a week after the surgery i could only feel pain

the medication helped allot though

TOP THAT

Jason Luther /

when i was a kid i opened our front door. so what you say? my toe was just small enough to fit under the door, although my to nail was not. ripped it right off. i think i was 4, i still cringe

Well, ummm you ever take a nail, and just jam it under your eylid untill you feel your skull give way...

OK bad joke-

That's the only good thing about the carb cleaner and stuff along those lines- at least it's only for a day or two.

David F Martin /

I had a problem with the ignition switch on my '67 VW camper, and occasionally had to crawl underneath the bus and short the terminals on the starter to crank it up... I forgot to take it out of gear once... it didn't start up (thank God), but it moved just enough for the back wheel to roll up against my ribcage, cracking a couple of ribs.

DOH!

I hate when that happens.

david

i never sprayed anything in my eyes before while working .

maby thats because i use safety glasses/.

lol....safetly glasses...good work.

the rest of us will go on slowing working our way to blindness.

marching on toward death.

i remember turning brake rotors at the shop.....some of those were pretty nasty, and everywhere just a black dust flying through the air, brake dust....asbestos, metal shavings.......every time i blew my nose it was black with brake dust.....ahhh!

We used to play in the trainyard when we were kids. One of us found a bunch of magnesium or phosphorus flares and as we were lighting them a huge drop of the molten flare fell on the top of this one kid's foot. Not like water would have stopped it but it could have cooled it after...that was so gross for weeks. Nothing around but sand....ouch. so glad that wasn't me. I'm certain he's still scarred-- between the major burn and 3 mos of healing..

Resurrecting this ancient thread just to say this happened to me on community shop night this past Thursday. Hurt like a mother. But Just pour some beer in there and roll your eye around.

Just kidding I’m sure I’ll be blind soon.

Angry Hipster /

I think I read somewhere that the older formulations worked better but too many accidents like that caused them to change it.

If a guy never buys/uses carb cleaner , it's impossible for that 'accident' to happen . LOL

I had a job rebuilding carbs a long while back. Back when chem-dip actually had chemicals in it. I've sprayed my eyes with carb cleaner so many times I think I'm immune. It's like a rite of passage.

It’s happened to me in minor instances over the years but oddly enough I’ve managed to avoid a direct shot until now

DOE safety says 15 min flush with eyebath. We were supposed to know our way to an eyebath with our eyes closed.

When around chemicals, keep some water or a hose handy.

Safety glasses people...you only get 2 eyes...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account