Chris /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I doubt you'll need this info but I got this from Craig on the Expressly Mopeds forum:

OK. Here's an easier way: go to the Secretary of State's Office and ask for the form to apply for a lost title. DO NOT tell them it's for a moped! DO NOT do a title search! Too much info and state employees tend to get confused.

Just take the form and run! When you get home log onto the S.O.S. web site at and look up the fee. I believe it's $63.00 + $38.00 for the plates.

Make copies of your completed forms. Mail the check and the form to Springfield. And wait.

It takes about 6 to 8 weeks for the title and plates to come the mean time keep the copies in your wallet when you ride. If the police were to stop you at least you've got proof the paperwork is in the hands of the state. You must also have proof of insurance - this you can get without a title too.

Yes you can get a driver's license without a title - those are 2 separate issues.

As far as the seller is concerned, a bill of sale listing the VIN and stating that there is no title gets him off the hook.

With the State of IL employees - take the easiest route possible. They know just enough to be dangerous.

Good luck!


This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Lost title in Illinois...Topic by: Chris Chris 07/25/01 12:15PM
  Re: Lost title in Illinois...Re: Peggy Peggy 07/25/01 02:08PM
  Damn...Re: Chris Chris 07/25/01 02:28PM
  Re: Damn...Re: Peggy Peggy 07/25/01 03:00PM
  What will become of this...Re: Chris Chris 07/25/01 04:05PM
  FYIRe: Chris Chris 07/25/01 05:13PM
  maybe...Re: trex trex 07/26/01 09:33AM
  Re: maybe...Re: Bob Bob 07/26/01 11:30PM
  Re: maybe...Re: don-ohio don-ohio 07/27/01 10:51AM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account