My moped being a piece of shit

About my previous post about my engine being jumpy and shit like that, My friend and I cleaned the carb today, there was a ton of gunk and crap in it, it starts a lot better and on one try, but I'm not getting the speed, and it stalls when im idling and when im accelerating I can feel the engine jumping, anybody know what could be doing this. We also cleaned the fuel line and the inline filters.

Re: My moped being a piece of shit

Nick, did you make sure to clean out the main jet when you cleaned the carb? It would most likely have to have been removed from the body of the carb itself to be cleaned out properly. If the bowl was full of crap, you can bet the main jet was and might still be... If you did clean it, what about your airfilter? Is it clean?

i'm no moped expert, but I used to have a mini-bike and sometimes my engine would jump while accelerating as well. Something is loose. You need to tighten either the air or oil filter so that the gas gets an even mixture of oxygen and gas in order to burn or combust correctly. Right now, it is getting different amounts at different times so it jumps.

I don't think its the air filter, but my moped is the 25mph version, and I would say its not even going 15. Does anyone think I should get a new spark plug, would that really do anything? Well I getting sick of this shit so I'll probably just take to the local moped guy. About the main jet, I believe my friend cleaned that, but I will check later.

Ron Brown /

Nick.

Look for this post:

Author: Ron Brown (---.ismi.net)

Date: 07-20-01 11:58

It is quite long so I do not want to repeat it.

I would recommend that you do not drill the carb because of the problems with the throttle slide, but the rest of it may give you some ideas. Mostly, I suspect that you have not really cleaned the carb well enough. Remove the main jet from the holder and examine both with good light and a good magnifier to make sure you have no crud left in them.

Ron

Ron Brown /

Nick,

I forgot, my Batavus is a 1977 25 mph version.

Ron

I can't find it, what should I type in to search for it?

Ron Brown /

Nick,

You can search using my name and check only the author box then look for the date and time or try this...

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=1&i=12692&t=12674

Ron

I think the whole thing is strange, because my moped was idling great and running pretty good, but I wasn't getting full speed. Then after riding it for a few hours the engine got jumpy and went much faster for a while, then one night I ran out of gas, I put some in and it would'nt start, well it would but would stall after a few seconds.

My friend and I cleaned the carb (I will plan to check the main jet when my friend gets home) Now it starts better but Its going sooo slow, I would say probably 15mph on open throttle(15 is a guess because my speedo needs a new cable) But trust me it is going slow, i could probably pedal faster on a bike :( Could a main jet being clogged really cause all this, and what about a new spark plug any body think that would help?

I dont think anything is wrong with the engine because it only has 613 miles on it( the odometer doesn't work because I don't have a speedo cable but that just happened so i would say tops it only has 700 miles on it.) But I'm no where close to an expert so I may be wrong.

Also I just ran my moped before on the kickstand without the air filter, I could notice it was going faster but it still stalled when idling and even without the air filter I don't think it was going full speed. Someone help my poor batavus moped :(

Thanks

-Nick

Ron Brown /

Nick,

I'm not sure which question I am answering but, YES on the main jet.

The speeding up you talk about could easily be a lack of fuel flow and running out of gas is a sure way to stir up any available crud.

Make sure you have good gas flow with the gas line disconnected, you can disconnect the banjo at the carb. There is a filter screen inside the tank around the pet cock. Also, look inside the Bolt which holds the banjo to carb, Mine has a small screen in there which can reduce fuel flow.

After that, you are left with the main jet mostly. Make sure you separate the jet from the jet holder to clean and examine it.

All of the above can be done without rermoving the carb although you should check that it is seated all the way onto the manifold.

Ron

Alright this is weird....I have the 25mph carb (S 8 A), but the jet says 58 on it (hard to read because its little corroded). But the jet size 58 is for the 30mph carb. Could this do anything? Also the jet seems to be in the jet holder very tight, any body know how to get it without damaging it or anything?

Oh wait nevermind....it unscrews..i feel stupid now :( But anyone i unscrewed it and looked thru the little hole..it is pretty clear..what about the jet holder..could that be clogged or something.

Ron Brown /

Nick,

Use a bright light and a magnifier to look through the jet. Spray out the holder with carb cleaner and examine it the same way although you cant see much more than the holes drilled cross ways through it.

I added this again as you did not mention it:

Make sure you have good gas flow with the gas line disconnected, you can disconnect the banjo at the carb. There is a filter screen inside the tank around the pet cock. Also, look inside the Bolt which holds the banjo to carb, Mine has a small screen in there which can reduce fuel flow.

Ron

I'm soaking everything in carb cleaner over night...hopefully this will work :)

What the hell

What the hell...I cleaned the jet and the jet holder, and everything you told me to clean Ron...I soaked them all over night in carb cleaner. But it still runs like shit..It will start, but as soon as I let off the throttle it stalls...I don't know what could be wrong..I even tried to run the moped without the exhaust(like in freds guide) but it stills runs the same not a big difference..well the difference is it is 10x louder. Either I can fix it myself or I have to take it to my local moped guy and let me fix it and tune it up for only $120. Anything else it could be..??

Re: What the hell

Ron Brown /

Nick,

You are losing me here, give us a recap on your problem originally, what you have done, in order and what the results were.

Ron

Recap

This is from a previous post...This is everything::

"I think the whole thing is strange, because my moped was idling great and running pretty good, but I wasn't getting full speed. Then after riding it for a few hours the engine got jumpy and went much faster for a while, then one night I ran out of gas, I put some in and it would'nt start, well it would but would stall after a few seconds.

My friend and I cleaned the carb (I will plan to check the main jet when my friend gets home) Now it starts better but Its going sooo slow, I would say probably 15mph on open throttle(15 is a guess because my speedo needs a new cable) But trust me it is going slow, i could probably pedal faster on a bike :( Could a main jet being clogged really cause all this, and what about a new spark plug any body think that would help?

I dont think anything is wrong with the engine because it only has 613 miles on it( the odometer doesn't work because I don't have a speedo cable but that just happened so i would say tops it only has 700 miles on it.) But I'm no where close to an expert so I may be wrong.

Also I just ran my moped before on the kickstand without the air filter, I could notice it was going faster but it still stalled when idling and even without the air filter I don't think it was going full speed."

Last night I soaked the jet and the jet holder in carburator cleaner...I put it all back today and tried to run it..Its really hard to start and If I let go of the throttle it stalls..It won't idle and It is definatly not going 25mph(like it should be) Its going like 10-15mph :(

This is all the problems and everything I have done so far.

Thanks,

Nick

The main jet on my carb is a size 58, which is for the 30mph carb and I have 25 mph carb so do you think that could do anything?

Re: Recap

Ron Brown /

Nick,

Thanks for the recap, it all comes back to me now. At least I think it does. Is this a Batavus?

Anyway, from reading your recap, it appears that your original problem was most likely a dirty carb.

I recall sugesting checking gas flow to the carb and checking the little filter in the gas line banjo bolt. Did you do this?

Ron

Ron Brown /

Nick,

This one:

Author: Ron Brown (---.ismi.net)

Date: 07-25-01 17:24

Nick,

Use a bright light and a magnifier to look through the jet. Spray out the holder with carb cleaner and examine it the same way although you cant see much more than the holes drilled cross ways through it.

I added this again as you did not mention it:

Ron

Ron Brown /

Nick,

It used to run with it, therefore it will again. Changing something before solving the problem will only confuse things.

Ron

I also soaked them in carb cleaner last night..I think tommorow Im going to walmart buying carb cleaner(to clean the carb again, this time the whole carb will soak over night, like it says to do in freds guide) and 2 stroke oil (What kind would you recommend) getting a full tank of gas and a new spark plug see how this works. But really i dont see how a dirty carb could do all this to a moped...I mean my moped is running like shit and its all of a sudden too. Its been running good and then all of a sudden...it runs like shit. Any thing else you think it could be...anything you can think of just tell me..Thanks a lot..I appreciate your help a lot. Hopefully I can solve these problems myself because I don't want to spend $120

-Nick

Oh and yes its a batavus VA

Ron Brown /

Nick,

Is them, filters as in more than one, or banjo bolt and filter and did you try a flow test to see if gas was flowing well to the carb.

It might be easier if you would click "quote" then insert your responses. Sure would be easier for me.

Ron

Sorry I didn't even think of doing that...yes I cleaned the banjo bolt and filter, and the fuel is flowing good to the carb. So what else could it be?

question

Ron wrote:

>

With the air box off, I reduced the main jet size and tested the mixture by opening the throttle wide and using the choke, fortunately the old fashioned flap over the intake, to control the mixture on accelleration. With too small a jet, I had to use some choke at whatever speed I peaked at. I increased the size of the main jet a little at a time until when I reached maximum speed, with the throttle wide open, any amount of choke would slow me down.

This is from a post you told me to look out..theres something I don't understand about this...how do you increase the main jet size..do you have a couple of jets or all this one jet because I don't know you would adjust a jet.

Re: question

Ron Brown /

Nick,

Elswhere in the post, I mentioned that I had a clock bushing kit and tools for opening up the bushings. I started with too large a main jet so I bushed it too small, then used a pivot hole broach to increase the size until I liked it. This is not something the average person has tools for, but if you start with a new, too small jet, you can incrementally increase the size with number drills. You would need something like a #60 - #80 set. Keep in mind that if you go too far, you have to throw away the jet and start over.

Having said that, I don't think you should do anything to your jetting until you get the ped running like it did before this problem.

I like the idea of removing the carb and disassembling and cleaning it. Examine the float bowl for any contamination since the last cleaning and I can not overemphasize the use of a bright light and a magnifier to examine everything.

When you install the carb, make sure it is all the way onto the manifold.

We can figure out what to do next after we see what this does.

Ron

Re: question

ok i'll tell you how it goes tommorow. Nick

Ron...I bought a new spark plug...now my moped is awesome...idles great..goes 25mph like it should be...I never knew a spark plug could do this but Its good i decided to buy a new one.

By the way...Thanks for all your help

-Nick

Rob Gibbons /

have u tried riding it without the air filter? if not, do so, and if it stalls out, try checking the carb again.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account