Puch Mix 'N Match

XBrandon EdgeX /

I'm putting a two speed engine on my 77 Newport and it has what I think is called the "High-Torque head" on it (8 cooling fins on each side, usually come painted black) and I was wondering if the connecting rod would be the same as the head with 7 fins that's usually unpainted. I want to avoid taking the bottom end apart, but I want to keep the original cylinder and head on my Newport. If everyone's confused, I could post pictures of the two engines.

Re: Puch Mix 'N Match

As far as I know there is no such thing as a High Compression cylinder head for a Puch, it was the addition of a cylinder head gasket that made it low compression, no gasket and it's high. I'd use the one with more fins since it'll run cooler, assemble it and turn it over by hand prior to starting it. See if the piston hits the head, it shouldn't, to the best of my knowledge all the connecting rods were the same length.

Re: Puch Mix 'N Match

XBrandon EdgeX /

Thanks, Brian. When I was looking at the diagrams at the moped junkyard website, it showed the picture of the bigger cylinder and head and it said it's a high torque cylinder. The "regular" cylinder has 7 fins on each side and 8 on the top and bottom, and the "hi-torque" cylinder is the opposite. They only sell one size of crankshaft/connecting rod assembly, so you're probably correct that there is only one size.

Re: "HI-Torque" kit from moped junkyard

jamie derby /

I emailed the moped junkyard asking what the "hi-torque cylinder" kit will do for my 1978 magnum MKII. He replied, "it works great". I am skeptical because the bi-turbo pipe I install gave me better throttle response, but did nothing for overall power of my moped. I gather from Tim at scooter therapy that unlike a tomos there is little you can do for a puch that will significantly increase power. The Hi-torque as listed looks like a factory part, not an aftermarket overbore kit? Before I spend $150 does anyone have any experience with this Kit?

Let me know what you find out. I have the same model.

I was thinking about the bi-turbo but now...

I was unable to find a fitted bi-turbo for the magnum. I don't think they make one for it. I scabbed the header from a used oe pipe to a biturbo designed for the maxi. The magnum now has better throttle response and sounds better, but I did not register a significant change in top-end. I have been told that simply removing the head gasket will increase the compression and the power... the gasket is not essential. I may try it next summer but I have more or less gotten over the notion of making it something its not. If you want a fast moped, get a Derby revolution and put a pipe on it.

The hi-torque kit from moped junkyard appears to be incomplete. The schematics on the page do not match the photo.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account