RE: rusty gas tank

Ryan /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

<HTML>Well here is a solution my dad taught me years ago. Back when I was a little tyke we had a Honda Z50A (Ya know - - those kids dirt bikes) that we had acquired via someones junk pile. Now someone had put it on that pile with no gas cap, and contrary to popular belief, it DOES rain here in Tucson. So the tank was pitted with rust, and filled with yuck. So what we did was to remove the tank. Then remove all fittings and hoses from the tank. Plug the outlet with either a cut down cork or other implement that WILL NOT SCREW UP THE THREADS!!!! Then fill it with, oh say a handfull of bolts and nuts. Then fill it 1/4-1/3 full of gas. Then put on some cuban/latin music and shake away. Or you can put the whole thing to a paint mixer (the shaking kind). Either way, drain the gas every now and then and refill until the gas comes out clear. Then remove the nuts and bolts, and VIOLA! A clean tank. Then you can either coat it with a Sealer (made specialy for gas tanks...if you use the one for radiators, you will end up getting even nastier stuff in the carb and talk about needed to rebuild it! So - - let me know how it works out for you. This is a sure fire way to stop that crud and rust coming loose. Adding a fuel filter is only a stop gap measure. They work - ok - but ---- eventualy they will fill up and need replacing. Well - - I think I've said enough.

Ry</HTML>

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  rusty gas tankTopic by: Paul Paul 10/18/99 10:46AM
  RE: rusty gas tankRe: Ryan Ryan 10/18/99 10:39PM
  RE: rusty gas tankRe: Darkflame Darkflame 10/20/99 09:19PM
  RE: rusty gas tankRe: His Majesty, The Queen His Majesty, The Queen 10/21/99 03:27PM
  RE: rusty gas tankRe: Ryan Ryan 10/22/99 05:52AM
  RE: rusty gas tankRe: Tim Tim 10/29/99 01:39AM
  RE: rusty gas tankRe: Paul Paul 11/01/99 04:28PM
  RE: rusty gas tankRe: Pete Pete 01/01/00 04:10PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account