rusty gas tank

<HTML>yeah I' ve got rust in my PA50 gas tank. and it keeps clogging the jet in the carb.

whats the best or easiest way of fixing this problem? the local motorcycle shop sells

plastic-lining kits, but there's gotta be an easier way. has anyone ever installed a fuel

filter? if so, what kind I need something small because i don't have much room.

happy riding... </HTML>

RE: rusty gas tank

<HTML>Well here is a solution my dad taught me years ago. Back when I was a little tyke we had a Honda Z50A (Ya know - - those kids dirt bikes) that we had acquired via someones junk pile. Now someone had put it on that pile with no gas cap, and contrary to popular belief, it DOES rain here in Tucson. So the tank was pitted with rust, and filled with yuck. So what we did was to remove the tank. Then remove all fittings and hoses from the tank. Plug the outlet with either a cut down cork or other implement that WILL NOT SCREW UP THE THREADS!!!! Then fill it with, oh say a handfull of bolts and nuts. Then fill it 1/4-1/3 full of gas. Then put on some cuban/latin music and shake away. Or you can put the whole thing to a paint mixer (the shaking kind). Either way, drain the gas every now and then and refill until the gas comes out clear. Then remove the nuts and bolts, and VIOLA! A clean tank. Then you can either coat it with a Sealer (made specialy for gas tanks...if you use the one for radiators, you will end up getting even nastier stuff in the carb and talk about needed to rebuild it! So - - let me know how it works out for you. This is a sure fire way to stop that crud and rust coming loose. Adding a fuel filter is only a stop gap measure. They work - ok - but ---- eventualy they will fill up and need replacing. Well - - I think I've said enough.

Ry</HTML>

Darkflame /

<HTML>Hahaha man that sounds fricken scary, Shaking a metal container with bolts and gas in there, that's like shaking a bomb triggered by a mercury switch...a small spark and your headless body will be twitching to latin music...Then again I know nothing about flamibles or gas tanks...so............

slaps himself over the head

Just though i'd share my two cents...since that's all I really have to offer.</HTML>

His Majesty, The Queen /

<HTML>If the holes in the tank are the same size as or larger than a dime, than you must replace the tank or take it to a radiator shop that does re-cores...and usually they will be able to fix the tank for you.

If the holes are smaller than a dime, than you may repair the tank by using a liquid treatment that can be found at any major autoparts store...just ask at the counter.

God Save the Queen,

That's me!</HTML>

<HTML>As far as sparks are concerned. Unfortunately it is near impossible to create a spark with two pieces of metal in this way. Remember, to get a spark in this way you need to really (and I mean REALLY) vigerously scrape the metal. But - - if you dont feel comfortable in this way, just use VERY clean rocks and maybe some solvant. However, the bolt and gas method has been used many times by many people, and I have yet to hear a horror story about anyone blowing themselves up with this method. I also in adition to using this method with a dirt bike gas tank, I also used the same method on a 29 model A gas tank which had almost 60 years of rust and corrosion in it. I am happy to report that 5 years later I am still alive, and the car is still runing well with a sparkeling clean sediment bowl.

Ryan</HTML>

<HTML>Real PITA! (If you know what I mean). Crappy gas no days causes rust. Once it starts, it's a real problem until you fix it. You can install an small inline filter(available

at most auto parts/motorcycle/VW shops - for arount $2.00. It's a clear plastic filter

with a yellow paper filter inside. You should have enough room to install between the

fuel petcock and the carb. What you really need to do is to fix or replace your tank.

To fix it you can remove it and using a vibrator (one made for tanks & the like, I had to

build my own - can send plans later it interested) place polishing media(prepared walnut hulls, marbles, BB's, ball bearings, etc..) inside of the tank and vibrate it turning it on all sides over a 2-3 day period. This will loosen all the rust and polish the inside. You may also have the inside sand or glass bead blasted(more expensive but much quicker). Immediately after cleaning, you need to rinse the inside of the tank with acetone or mek or alcohol and then pour enough Ospo in it to coat all the inside surfaces(top,bottom,sides) when you swirl it around. Pour out excess Ospo(rust inhibitor) and allow the tank to dry overnite. The inside will then be a greyish black color(Phospate primer). After this it will be prep'd to coat the inside with a tank product such as "Kreem". My suggestion is to find a salvage tank since there are plenty of these bikes still around, and save yourself the expense and hassle.(Kreem tank kit runs around $25.00, plus media, plus OSPO, vibrator, etc... I only give you all of these options as I have 38 different bikes and am always picking up another in various need of repairs and have had to make do with what I have(or invent it).

Let me know what you decide!

Tim</HTML>

<HTML>thanks for all the info! since winter is rappidly approching, i decided to side-step the problem by cleaning the carb and installing an inline fuel filter.it was three bucks and has kept me motoring so far.

I am at university, and therefore do not have access to tools, a garage, money...But this winter I will look for a used gas tank, since I plan on doing some "customizing" anyway. if i can't find one though, I will certainly use my new found knowledge.

thanks again, and happy riding.

-paul</HTML>

<HTML>Moped parts - service manuals - service tips available from http://sportsbay.com.Puch-Motobecane-Sachs-Garelli-Honda and more</HTML>

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account