Why do you suppose?

Speed kits. Only made for Puch and Tomos. Perhaps parts are almost identical on both except for the intake (carbs mount on opposite sides). And for the two-speed Puch you need the Tomos intake for clearance between the carb and block. Great product research there, huh?

Does Honda/Vespa/Moby make speed kits for theirs? Could ya whip out the calculator and possibly find a cylinder/head/piston combination to fit one of the peds that came from one of their cycles? Measure the bolt pattern/stroke/etc. Seems like a real headache.

One thing I have noticed. It is ALOT safer to be traveling on mine at faster speeds. If you can do the speed limit cars/trucks are less inclined to pass. Or maybe it's because that they are all puzzled at the 12pack on the luggage rack and are afraid to pass me.

Nick

Re: Why do you suppose?

Reeperette /

>>Does Honda/Vespa/Moby make speed kits for theirs? Could ya whip out the calculator and possibly find a cylinder/head/piston combination to fit one of the peds that came from one of their cycles? Measure the bolt pattern/stroke/etc. Seems like a real headache.<<

Vespa does...or did, as I recall - do not know where to get them, however.

Some of the Vespa parts will also fit Kinetics.

You could, with enough hard work and skull session figure such a thing, but it would wind up costing more time, money and effort than it's worth in the long run.

I do not know too much about the Moby, but with a Honda there's a few tricks you can possibly try...like mounting a CT-70 engine to one...I've seen that (it's a hell of a ride, but a real deathtrap with OEM brakes)...or perhaps a smaller 50cc.

As for straight moped parts, I would have to know exact models to make deeper suggestions.

-Ree

SteelToad /

I know some of the documentation that came with parts of my Tomos speed kit

mentioned that they were for a Puch. Everything bolted up just fine and runs great.

As for riding at the speed of traffic, it is much safer. I find that the difference

between before the speed kit, and after, is the difference between being a

nuissance to traffic, and a really cool/suprisingly fast bike. When I go down the

highway at 50+ (engine screaming) cars will occasionally pull over to watch this

tiny little bike fly down the highway (Rt. 13 Delaware, 3 lanes). I'll get everything

from nods, to waves, to astonished speedometer checks. The "real" bikes in town

give me nothing but respect now that they've gotten accustomed to seeing me

on the road at speed. They can still blow my ass away at will, but never do.

Without speed, you are just a bike with a weed eater engine getting in folks

way when it comes to heavy traffic.

Rich King /

Yes, I have a 76 PUCH Maxi w/a 70 cc kit & biturbo. It's a really great feeling riding down the road and passing a minivan full of kids or a car driven by teenagers or adults. And the looks you get from these people are priceless, particular from some dude who just spent 25-30k on a Harley "Garage King". Sure he blows you away. But in your mind you know you really got to him and his pride. "50 mph on a Moped, yesssss"; or the car load of teenagers who you know will get on the driver for being passed by a MOPED. ("Hey Bobby drives so slow, he got passed by an old dude on a MOPED".) Yes, Life is good!!!

Rich

SteelToad /

AMEN,

I can tell you know exactly how I feel :) I was out riding two days ago and a

couple of local dimwits asked if i wanted to race. Now I don't have acceleration,

it's all top end. I told them I would race them to the third light up the road. Well

he spins the tires on his mustang to make the point, and I ride up behind him

catching up slowly. It takes one light just to get up to speed and the second to

get ahead of the other traffic. At this point they are stunned that I am keeping up

at all. We get to the third light (about 3 cars back cause it's red). I pull up right

along side of him to some laughs and cheers. I tell them it's not over yet, cut my

motor, and pedal between lanes to the light. I WIN !

I pulled off a little later, and they went out of their way to come over to where I

stopped, say a few kind words, and ask some questions. It will be a long time

before they just dismiss another ped.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account