Old man on a 10-speed

Wayne Broderick /

When I had my Honda Express, 1978, I was riding across a long bridge, with a slight downhill. the moped was maxed out at like 28 mph. an old dude, like 60 or more pased me like a bat out of hell on his 10 speed.

I still find this story funny-- thought you might.

Re: Old man on a 10-speed

But where was he an hour later? Probably resting by the side of the same road as you effortlessly mopedded by!

Jim

Careful about thr language, I have got 60 beat a good bit. I AM NOT OLD

I did sell my bicycle and got a moped.

Tom

Okay,Tom,but Jim's right! Where are those `seasoned citizens' 2 miles on down the road? I pulled up beside a `young' Geezer the other day and he was just a `gettin it',with a single-speed,fat-tired Schwinn.I said`Hey,you're doin' pretty good mister,but don't you think a 3-speed or yen-speed would help you?' He just grinned and said `yeah,probably';he was too out of wind to say any more.I eased on out ahead and then later throttled the MOTOMARINA up to 32 or so and maintained that for a couple of miles,then stopped to look over the side of a bridge and quench my thirst.About 30 secs. after stopping I l;ooked back and that 'ol,OOPS!,I mean young geezer was within 1/2 mi. of me and comin' pretty fast with a little down hill help.I was really surprised at his stamina at so `vigorous' an age,but the devil got the better of me and I pulled out and left him in the dust .I just didn't want him to get too prideful ,I guess.But I should have let him pass me.BYE!

Wayne Broderick /

Didn't mean anything by the 'old' comment-- but the dude was a Senior Citizen, and he was getting a lot better 'gas mileage' than I was, at any rate.

Aw,Wayne,I think Tom was `tongue in cheek' on the `watch it' comment.See,Tom! These young guys ain't lost ALL respect! BYE!

Was just to good a place for a coment that I just couldn't pass it up.

Tom

Hey Tom, I'm glad to see I'm not the only geezer who has turned to a moped for a fun way to get around. I'm 66 and loving my second childhood, blasting the 2 1/2 miles to the local coffee hangout or running errands that don't require a lot of carrying capacity. My wife and I just got back from a camping trip to a state park with about 50 miles of old abandoned roads to explore, (it's an old navy base), and we had a great time with the peds. Ken

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account