Helmet

Wayne Broderick /

Has anyone used a bicycle helmet for safety on their ped? It's what I use, seems to be pretty good, it's got holes in it to channel the wind over your head---

Re: Helmet

Jamie Leonard /

Personally I wouldn't use a bike helmet... they're designed for much lower speeds. On any kind of moped I'd advise at least a 3/4 helmet... a head is a bad thing to lose. Unless you plan to have a career sitting and drooling for a few years.

Jamie

YEP, thats what we wear at my place, Doug D.

Rich King /

Where I live in Northern VA, local ordinances (i.e., County govt.) dictates a helmet laws for mopeds, while the State Law doesn't, only for motorcycles. Bicycle helmets won't pass the muster as far as the local police are concerned here. Its a motorcycle type of helmet or a stiff fine. However, I think Jaime and Doug are on the right track and I agree with them. I always wear mine. It's basically "cheap insurance". Also, God forbid that you do get into an accident, the insurance laws here severely limit your recovery ($$) w/o a helmet, even if it is some other clowns fault.

About a month ago a Dude in my area tried for a Moped Darwin Award. Early in the evening he stole a Tomos and was cruising on it @ 5:00 AM when spotted by the local police. According the the newspapers accounts w/pic, the local police proceeded to stop him during a "low speed chase". The Dude had a helmet on, though unbuckled (I guess he thought is wasn't kool to buckle up). He failed to make a right turn onto a dual lane street, fell off the ped, losing his helmet on the initial impact, then fatally hitting his head on the opposite curb. End of story - - DOA. I've personally driven my ped & scooter, through the intersection. In my estimation, the Dude would have survivied easily w/a helmet, maybe a broken arm or leg but nothing in the fatal column. Rich

It may not be the best safety devise, but I use a bike helmet on hot days. I used to use a full face in my Goldwing days, but the speed was a whole lot more. Even a 3/4 helmet can get pretty hot at moped speeds.

gimmyjimmy /

I mentioned this a while back,

I use a shoebox with a duct tape chin strap, works great until it rains.

GimmyJimmy! You DO WHAT? What do you use for padding? Your hair? Very funny,you rascal! Ouch! Must hurt when you remove that strap! OOOIIEEEE !!!!

gimmyjimmy /

I never take it off, Don. I'm scared of meteors.

Ron Brown /

Jimmy,

I hope you lined it with aluminum foil, you can never be too carefull.

Ron

gimmyjimmy /

but of course, that's what reflects the radar gun waves.

Shoot,GimmyJimmy,if I put THAT HELMET on I'd be more scared of flying bricks and rocks and such! Better BONDO that thing on the outside! Cripes!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account