reduced to pedestrian! NO!!!

this sucks guys. i haven't ridden my moped in like a week. the carb's all fucked, and me and my friend are working on it, but we lost the spring. is there any way to make one or something that requires minimal money/effort? i really think mopeds should be classified as a drug. i know i'm addicted, and i'm willing to bet everyone else on this site is to. i love my moped. i've had so many good times with it... every time i ride it, something new shows up. but lately, it's been falling apart around me. if i can't get it going again, i might have to retire my trusty old 79 puch magnum mk2... it's a great bike though. it would hurt a whole lot to see that happen. i'm having withdrawls. i look @ my moped. just staring @ it. it's sad. then, my friend let me use his, but what he didn't tell me was the throttle cable was a little iffy... so i was riding the other day, and SNAP. there it goes. it sucked. pushing a moped home is not only hard, but it leaves that horrid taste of defeat in your mouth for quite some time. but yeah. this last week has NOT been a good one for the 2 moped riders or ashburnham, MA. i think it's a curse. i hadn't had any problems @ all with my bike until just very recently. i think i shook up some rust in the tank, and that started the problems. meh, oh well... :-(

-Mike

Re: reduced to pedestrian! NO!!!

Jamie Pahigian /

Sorry, I've got no good advice for your carburator woes, but I can sympathize with cruel sting of having to push a moped home. I one pedalled my batavus 6 miles from Leicester to Worcester, MA, when the spark plug was too fouled to fire and I didn't have a plug wrench with me. To make matters worse, the pedal was bent and would strike against the exhaust pipe with a loud clang each time around, drawing attention to me. About half a dozen people shouted rude comments to me on the long, slow shamefull ride home. One sarcastic man offered to buy me some gas as I rolled past a gas station.

awww man, that's tough. i know what it's like to have a bent pedal though. i hit some sand on mine once, and the pedal bent all the way to the engine. now, everytime i pedal, it kind of clanks around. i think i'm going to take it apart and just fiddle with the pedals, since i can't ride it and all. but hey man, where do you live? (just wondering, we could start a branch of the moped army out here! SWARM AND DESTROY!!!!)

SWARM AND PEDDLE ? Will carb parts a 78 PUCH MaGNUM Fit? I may have a few parts left after taking 2 to make 1, Its the motorcycle style. Doug D.

SteelToad /

The only thing worse than being seen riding a moped (dont get me wrong, I love it)

is being seen pedaling your moped. I for one would push my ped before I would

pedal it.

Ron Brown /

Mike,

If you are refering to the return spring on the carb slide, go to the local hardware store and buy one. As long as it is approximately the same diameter and length it will work. Just make sure it does not bind anything up.

Ron

I'm in Worcester. Hey, how about we start a moped biker gang? We could call ourselves the Heck's Angels (sort of a tamed-down version of the Hell's Angels.)

Well, it was mostly downhill, so pedaling was easier. After all, it was SIX MILES for god's sake. Quite the walk while pushing a hundred pounds of useless steel.

ron, are you sure that would work? dude, if it does, you're like, the shit man. you rule. i'm gonna check tomorrow. hahaha. you just made my day man... i had just ordered one from mopedsonlnie.com and they said it would take 4-6 wks. for a deliver. 4-6 weeks! i can't wait that long to be out on my moped again!!!! you're the best. thank you.

jamie, e-mail me sometime, we can get things rollin or something!

-Mike

Reeperette /

Yeah..it'll work Mike....I tend to lose the damn things too, and I've used typewriter springs, springs from small, broken toys, old Joysticks, you-friggin-name it....as long as it holds that #$@%$$%& screw in place, yer good to go.

Nothin I hate like hearing "ping" as the damn spring goes flyin across the garage/yard to land gods-know-where.

If yer REAL desperate, and I've done this, so it does work...badly...fold up some foam rubber, and squish it down till you have strong resistance, and punch the screw through THAT, and it'll hold it in place....for a while.

-Ree

Ron Brown /

Ree,

I was talking about the throttle slide spring, I think you are talking idle screw, but no matter, it is still just a spring.

Ron

Ron Brown /

Mike,

Go for it and keep in mind that if a compression spring of the right size is not available, you may find an extension spring you can over stretch and then cut off the length you need.

Ron

YES! I HAVE A WORKING MOPED ONCE MORE! THANK GOD! HAHA! i'm so fucking overjoyed... as a matter of fact, i'm out to ride right now... just thought i'd let everybody know... hahaha!

-Mike

Ron Brown /

Mike,

Great!! Tell us how.

Ron

well, i just found a spring @ C.A.P. (consumer auto part), and me and my friend cut it to fit and used it in the slide, like any normal spring. hahaha. well yeah, that's how! it's great. :-) thanks guys. adios!!!

-Mike

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account