How do i remove a restrictor???!?!

Hey, i have a 1999 Tomos Targa LX. I can get it up to about 40 on flat ground but i'm a speed adict and i'm used to riding 4 wheelers at 100 mph. I really want to do somethin to make my moped go faster (maybe 50mph or even an extra 5 mph would be good). I've been reading stuff on the internet about restricter pipes and plates and governors and stuff and i was wondering, how can i alter one of those or take one of those out to make my moped go faster? If ANYONE can answer this question i'd be VERY VERY grateful, thanks

---Chris

Re: How do i remove a restrictor???!?!

Jamie Leonard /

Well some mopeds (as I understand the whole thing) have purpose built restrictors, but most are just generally designed for lower speeds. One thing you can do it add a performance exhaust (biturbo or pollini) - did that to my targa and it did up the high end considerably. You can get bore kits to increase your power as well (which might end up being a bit pricey and possibly affect reliability) and you can change the sprocket (you can change that ratio and get more speed at the cost of acceleration or vice versa)

Jamie

Reeperette /

For what you want, I would reccomend starting by adding a BiTurbo exhaust - it's an easy mod, quick to assemble and install, completely reversable, and not that expensive...and as far as mods go, that one gives the most bang-for-your-buck.

-Ree

how much difference does a BiTurbo exhaust make? How much mph does it increase?

Tomos have no "restrictor" to say, they are restricted by design. They are built to go thirty and thats what they do. The question is how much do you want to spend?

Grey

with no other changes on a bike in perfect tune, switching the stock muffler for a performance exhaust will add near 5 to 10 mph..

Some drawbacks are it's loud, the engine is under more stress (higher RPMs), the rest of the bike is built for 30 mph, it's illegal, you must tune much more carefully, it costs money, it may require welding, they don't last as long as stock mufflers..

If all that's desired is more top speed, i'd recommend playing with gearing first.

Higher gearing alone (different sprockets or pulley sizes) might show very satisfactory results, and there's no real downside.

If you want to go 100mph, why don't you buy a motorcycle? Mopeds are slow.

Live Fast

Ride Slow

Hells Satans.

BIT TURBO

Is it possible to put a Bit Turbo on a Tomos Streetmate?

Amen to that.

The drawback to regearing for more top speed is less acceleration.

--Scott

yes.. but i said "If all that’s desired is more top speed..."

35mph capability is nice on an otherwise stock moped. It's flat here. Acceleration loss was acceptable in my situation.

i have a tomos that i rebuilt myself and i hit around 40 and all i did was swap the air box on the carb with a perth system and all that is is layers of mesh wire. with a regular muffler just take the baffle out.

First, ya tie off the area he's latched on to. A few days might pass while he hungers for what he can't get.

Then take a slab of bacon out and wave it around his nose. He'll pull his teeth out, and strike after the bacon.

THAT's when ya grab him by the tail and fling him!

Zombie post!

Double zombie post.

Move to New Jersy and add a Biturbo, they go 50+ there.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account