A-3 Trannie

Hi, I`m putting togeather another Tomos using parts left overs, I have a A-3 engine and pulled it down to ck over, I noticed in the transmission one gear that is worn sharp and starting to chip, pretty sure it 2nd gear, located between clutch and peddle shaft, the outboard gear, by looking everything else looks good, Does anyone know what could have caused the gear to wear out and others not, a bearing or bushing? or just high miles? All others look good, I`m not new to gear boxes, rebuilt 4 speeds on heavy trucks, these are too simple, guess that what`s throwing me. Thanks Doug D. in VA.

Re: A-3 Trannie

all tomos's(I'm pretty sure) come equipped with centrifgual clutches. I've also noticed that tomos's have a tendencies to go out. I am not the best with trannnies but i'd say its a bushing or something in there

Reeperette /

I would know, but I would have to have the unit in front of me for something that specific...a photo would help tho.

-Ree

Reeperette /

Just in case ya check the Forum before yer mail.

Looks like the bearing on that shaft is shot....the bearings in there are recessed in these little black rubberish rings...and should be an easy snap-out, snap-in kinda replacement...tho I would replace the busted gears if possible too....that one is way gone.

-Ree

Hi, Does anyone know what the ? shaped spring does? Located behind 1st gear, mines gone... Doug

Reeperette /

Oh my...yeah, that needs to be there...not exactly sure HOW it works, and no way to explain what it does without knowing the proper names for most of the parts....but THAT part, I would see about replacing with the A5 transmission variant.

That funky little piece is a bit heavier, and harder to break, in the A5 than they A3, and it is prone to breakage, indeed.

There's a dude somewhere around this Forum who knows what it's called, so lets hope he sees this one and comments.

-Ree

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account