Puch help needed

Hi,

I just picked up a Puch Maxi. The problem is that the throttle will not move. I assumed that it was due to varnish buildup in the carb (this bike has less than 300 miles on it. I am having trouble getting the carb apart for cleaning. I can't seem to get the throttle cable unhooked. I've cleaned out the jet and the bowl. I'd like to get it apart so that I can see why the throttle won't pull.

The dellorto carb on my Vespa Ciao is much simpler. Any advice? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Puch help needed

Could be the cable is stuck in the casing. Check the end at the throttle grip to see if it shows signs of rust. Water can enter here and cause it to stick since most people never lubricate cables.

Shoot Liquid Wrench or WD-40 there and let it work for a while, then try moving the cable.

Jim

dang, take that thing back to where you got it before you take it apart. with only 300 miles seems like they should fix it for free.

i worked on plenty of old puchs in my life, and i can tell you that most of had a stuck carb slide due to gas varnish build up. its a biotch to get unstuck. i wedge it out with an ice pick. you might try soaking it in a parts/caarb cleaner available any any auto parts store. (be carefull not to saok and rubber parts or gaskets for very long or it will mess them up!!)

Tim,

Thanks, it worked! That slide was tough. Now, I'm having an additional problem. The moped runs (finally). But, it wouldn't idle. I adjusted the idle and that seems to help, and then I adjusted the throttle cable and that solved it. However, it won't run long. Once it gets to speed, it dies. I cleaned the tank and it was as gummed as the carb. The petcock is now leaking like a sieve. I bypassed the petcock altogether to test it. It will run, but dies as I described. I intend to order a new petcock. Other than continual cleaning and recleaning the carb until all sediment is gone, can you think of any other thing that would cause it to die like this?

Many thanks,

Chris

Its normally just all that sediment, like you said, stopping fuel flow. Simple as that.

Perhaps you could check that the valve on your gas cap is clear, as a blocked valve causes a vacuum in the tank, therefore no fuel flow.

Thanks for the help everyone! It runs now. The carb slide was really gummed up...that was problem one. Problem two was one of fuel leakage. It seems that the carb was getting too much fuel (when I bypassed the petcock) and not enough fuel (when it was leaking). I put a new (better) petcock and fuel line (with inline filter) on and it started right up on first kick. Yeah!

Chris

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account