Stripped Drain Plug

Ataristyle /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Yesterday I was changing the ATF in my '98 TTLX. After I drained the fluid I put the drain plug back on. Previous times I did put the plug back on, I would make it really tight. Last time I did put the plug back on I thought it was kinda stripped but I didn't want to turn it anymore. Now when I screwed the plug on I turned it too much and it stripped. I teflon tape around the plug that goes into the hole(two times around as usual). It still holds but is snug. I can't unscrew it with my fingers so that is good. I road around the town and checked to see if it was on at stops and it stays right on. I just don't want to loose the plug and ruin the bike. I talked to a couple of people already. Someone told me about self tapping drain plugs. Someone else told be to see if the bolt looking piece that taps the hole would fit in there barely. The guy was going to let me borrow it but I told him I didn't want to mess with it untill I have to change the fluid again since its holding up. I will always keep my eye on it though. Has anyone else stripped their drain plug before on their moped and what have they done about it? Thanks.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Stripped Drain PlugTopic by: Ataristyle Ataristyle 06/27/01 02:05PM
  Re: Stripped Drain PlugRe: Ron Brown Ron Brown 06/27/01 06:35PM
  Re: Stripped Drain PlugRe: Reeperette Reeperette 06/27/01 11:55PM
  Re: Stripped Drain PlugRe: Ataristyle Ataristyle 06/28/01 12:37AM
  Re: Stripped Drain PlugRe: don-ohio don-ohio 06/28/01 01:00AM
  Re: Stripped Drain PlugRe: gimmyjimmy gimmyjimmy 06/28/01 08:59AM
  Re: Stripped Drain PlugRe: Doug D. Doug D. 06/28/01 10:19AM
  Re: Stripped Drain PlugRe: gimmyjimmy gimmyjimmy 06/28/01 10:47AM
  Re: Stripped Drain PlugRe: Ataristyle Ataristyle 06/28/01 01:39PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account