Stripped Drain Plug

Ataristyle /

Yesterday I was changing the ATF in my '98 TTLX. After I drained the fluid I put the drain plug back on. Previous times I did put the plug back on, I would make it really tight. Last time I did put the plug back on I thought it was kinda stripped but I didn't want to turn it anymore. Now when I screwed the plug on I turned it too much and it stripped. I teflon tape around the plug that goes into the hole(two times around as usual). It still holds but is snug. I can't unscrew it with my fingers so that is good. I road around the town and checked to see if it was on at stops and it stays right on. I just don't want to loose the plug and ruin the bike. I talked to a couple of people already. Someone told me about self tapping drain plugs. Someone else told be to see if the bolt looking piece that taps the hole would fit in there barely. The guy was going to let me borrow it but I told him I didn't want to mess with it untill I have to change the fluid again since its holding up. I will always keep my eye on it though. Has anyone else stripped their drain plug before on their moped and what have they done about it? Thanks.

Re: Stripped Drain Plug

Ron Brown /

Helicoil it.

Ron

Reeperette /

I concur..I've stripped a couple out myself and the choice is simple.

Helicoil - or retap the hole for a slightly larger bolt.

Of course, I took my trans apart to do either one, so I didn't get metal bits in there, but there's prolly a way to do it easier than that.

-Ree

Ataristyle /

Thats good to here that I'm not the only one : ) I'll retap the hole for a slightly larger bolt. If I do it with out taking it off the bike, I will definately be sure to flush out the gears really good so that there are no metal bits in it. What do you think about self tapping Drain plugs? Will those work good?

Might be tough findin' one that small ! But NAPA might have one.

gimmyjimmy /

They work, I put one on my truck, make sure to put grease on the plug (to catch any metal particles) and start it STRAIGHT.

Once it's screwed in, remove it and clean it.

but like Don said, it might be hard to find one that small.

On a self taping plug you will push metal bits up into the unit every time it`s installed, and on the soft metal you will only get so many uses. I bought a cheap tap set, with both sae+metric, if metric you can go to next size using standard without any drilling, and same for standard. Hate it when threads screw up! doug D

gimmyjimmy /

self tapping plugs only cut new threads the first time you use them, after that, they install like a normal plug.

either way, you'll need new threads in the hole, and add a little teflon tape to help seal, and don't over tighten.

Ataristyle /

Thanks for the help. I'll try retapping if the hole gets worser(If I strip it completely). Its holding up as it is and I'm always watching it.

Swarm and Destroy!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account