Digital Speedos

Chris Robertson /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I'm a big advocate of the digital spedometers. I'm always leery about taking a top-speed claim at face value unless it has been verified either with a car (as Wayne has done) or with a digital spedometer.

I also find that the spedometers don't vary by a constant percentage.

Ex: One of my Peugeots stock spedometer is accurate up to about 40km/h (0% error). When it says 55km/h I'm really going about 50km/h (10% error). When it says 70km/h I'm really going about 60km/h (15% error).

If you don't want to add a digital spedometer, you might want to consider <i>temporarily</i> putting one on until you learn what speeds your moped is really going. As an alternative you can verify with a car at different speeds. You can also do the one mile time trials as Don suggested. Once you know how your spedometer behaves you can reliably translate the speed into "real" units.

As a point of interest: Does anyone out there have a stock spedometer that actually gives you a <b>conservative</b> (as opposed to inflated) reading? Broken spedometers that always say "0" don't count, of course!

Chris.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  SpeedometerTopic by: Wayne Broderick Wayne Broderick 06/26/01 10:27PM
  Re: SpeedometerRe: don-ohio don-ohio 06/26/01 10:49PM
  Re: SpeedometerRe: Rick Rick 06/27/01 12:59AM
  Re: SpeedometerRe: Roberto Roberto 06/27/01 10:50AM
  LISTEN TO ME!!!Re: mike mike 06/27/01 10:15PM
  Re: LISTEN TO ME!!!Re: don-ohio don-ohio 06/27/01 11:04PM
  Digital SpeedosRe: Chris Robertson Chris Robertson 06/28/01 11:04AM
  Re: Digital SpeedosRe: Wisky Wisky 06/29/01 10:00PM
  Re: Digital SpeedosRe: Chris Robertson Chris Robertson 06/30/01 05:24PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account