Avanti update

I would like to say thanks to all for trying to help with the Avanti hesitation. I still have not figured it out and have not heard from the Techs yet. I had resigned myself that this just might be a quirk I have to live with when Thursday my rear tire went flat.

I pulled the tire and found the offending metal (looked like a shaving about an inch and a half long) sticking through and pulled it out and repaired the tube. I replaced the tire and it is holding air. However, after the repair I lost speed. I was averaging 40-42 mph, and now it maxes out at 35-37mph.

What would be the reason for the loss of speed? The only thing that was removed was the brake cable and the outside bolts of the tire. I did not touch the locking nuts (on the inside). Nothing appears to be rubbing and The wheel looks to be in align (not wobbeling). I inflated to the proper psi (as specified in the manual) Any ideas?

Re: Avanti update

Jamie Leonard /

Tried readjusting your brakes? Doesn't take much extra pressure to slow a moped down (hey a 49CC engine can only do so much! :)

No I did not try that yet, when I took the adjuster (the plate on the hub) off I tried to be careful not to let it twist one way or the other as that appeared to me it may loosen or tighten the cable thus the brakes, but I will check the adjustment, I just hate messing with the brakes too much.

Reeperette /

Tire pressure is a small factor, but can be adjusted for about 1-1/2 mph worth of speed, all in all....at least in my experience.

A little less for better "grip" and less top end, a little more for less "grip" and more tope end...but that's only like 1-1/2mph difference - you prolly won't notice unless yer a real hardcore about such things.

-Ree

XBrandon EdgeX /

Could it be that the chain is too tight? I'm not sure how tight it's supposed to be, but there should be movement. Also, adjust it with some weight on the bike, because as the shocks compress, the chain gets tighter.

I set the adjustment by the manual but I did not check it with weight, I will look at that as well as the brakes.

Loosen the nuts that hold your back tire on, not dangerously loose but when put on the stand and running the tire should turn by itself really easily. I got like 3mph extra out of my tomos when i did that.

Reeperette /

Ben - that usually (but not always) means the rear wheel axle and bearings need to be re-done....I do mine on occasion, and you should see how messed up they can get after about 2500 miles.

Trex - A suggestion on the tires & tubes....Cheng Shin tires are really good, but whatever brand you prefer is ok too...but here's a trick.

Go to your local walmart, in the bicycle aisle and look for BELL Self-Sealing tubes, they are technically for bicycles but they work damn well in moped tires as well - you can get em in the exact size, but they are really hard to put in that way, so I get them an inch or two larger, and they work great.

I haven't gotten a flat since I used em, save for one stupid little panelling brad I ran over and punched EIGHT holes in the tire.....Ooops....even seal seal has limits I suppose.

-Ree

The thought had crossed my mind that even though I had not touched the locking nuts, I may have over tightened the outside ones and put pressure on the bearings anyway. Is that possible?

Thanks for the tip on the tubes, Before I repaired the tube I looked for one of those (I had seen an earlier post of yours) I could not find my exact size (16 X 2.50) but I did not think about going bigger. The rear went flat in that morning and I had to be at work so I put some bicycle fix a flat in it (the gel) and it took care of it till after the ride home. The metal was still sticking it every time it went around on the way home so within about an hour of getting home it was flat again so that is when I pulled it and patched it.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account