Spuddering?

what would cause a moped to start spuddering and miss firing?

ps its a batavus bingo with a laura M-48 engine

thanx

Re: Spuddering?

Hi,Shmiver! Bad spark plug,points slipped shut or corroded,float sticking open,bad coil wire, choke slipping shut,clogged air filter.BYE!

which one would happen while riding, cuz i was riding with a friend when my belt fell off and loosened my main jet, so when i got home i fixed the jet and now it spudders, the only thing i did before it happened was remove the baffle

I'd have to have a more detailed account of how the heck the belt loosened the main jet.I guess it's one of those that is adjustable like the old lawnmower engines and the jet screw sticks down from under the float bowl? You remember that I told you I just bought a `78 Starflite this spring don't you?Well,I haven't even looked at the engine on it,and I'm not at home right now.If you adjusted the main jet or it was damaged in any way,that's your problem,I'd say.Get the ped running and turn the jet screw in if it's adjustable,and that will lean out your mixture.Make sure to take note of how many turns you move it so you can out it back where it is now.Still counting the turns,if screwing it in doesn't work,back it out from its original position and see if that helps.You've got to give a more detailed picture of the scenario,O.K.? BYE!

i dont know how many turns the jet is because when i first got it running the jet loosened and hit the pulley and shot out, sonow i have to use a piece of wire and stick it through the carb and line up the jet that way( yes the jet screw is adjustable from the outside of the carb)

Well,Shmiver,I'd say you'll have ongoing problems until you get another jet and holder.I just looked up your carburetor and saw the jet holder and jet.Call Handy Bikes,talk to B.J.,and see what he thinks.(614-299-0550) If he can't help you call Mopedjunkyard or Akron Moped and check with them.I wouldn't keep running it unless you can get the mixture close because it could cause you trouble later.Here's a web site to look at thats about BATAVUS. daehyllis@hotmail.com Hope you get it fixed quickly!

the jet works fine, its just the actual jet isn't as long anymore, the jet is there, and it works, what i was wondering would not having the baffle and tail pipe on it have any affect like that?

go to http://members.nbci.com/miniengine/Mopeds/BatCarb/BatCarbPg1.html and look at the S22 carb, thats whats on mine

Sure,Scmiver! I didn't know that you left the baffle out.Put it back in for sure! It's in there for a good reason and helps control the aerodynamic of the intake air.Then again,when you put it in there,you may have to slightly adjust the jet again,and the idle screw.But I'm tellin' you that you should replace that jet and jet holder anyway.BYE!

so your telling me that the baffle is whats causing it? then y did it take so long, it has been out for a couple days now, and i have to find out what jet works best in my carb, lates

Scmiver,you are going to fix that jet eventually aren't you? You're making me feel like I'm talkin' to my son when he doesn't want to take good advice! Now I'm gonna go take a pill,O.K.?BYE!

i will adventually fix it when it needs it, it works fine at the moment, i have to find out what size of jet to get first

Hi,Shmiver! That's really good to hear! There's nothing better than knowin' you've fixed a problem the right way and not cobbled it up.SOMETIMES we have to cobble,but MOST times we have a choice.Let us know when you get her runnin' smooth again!BYE!

Ron Brown /

Don,

smooth exit :)

Ron

Thanks, Ron! I needed that!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account