Best 70cc Kit for a Puch? Raptor? Athena? Airsail?

I'm ready to buy a new engine for my Puch Swinger-2 (one speed). Does anyone have any feedback on what kit to get?

I've been looking at the 70cc Athena reed valve kit at MopedWarehouse.com.

I've also seen a 'eurokit' at Mopedsonline.com and I've heard talk of the Raptor kit, although I've never seen one for sale.

Any suggestions?

Re: Best 70cc Kit for a Puch? Raptor? Athena? Airs

The "Raptor" kit is just a combination of performance parts that Ike puts on bikes. "The Raptor kit consists of a 16mm carb and intake , a Tecnigas Next pipe and an Airsal sylinder and piston kit." The exhaust won't fit on a Swinger though, to my knowledge...just the Tomos bikes. Check out a Proma Circuit or a Biturbo exhaust for Puchs.

I've heard good things about Airsal and Athena. Don't know which is better. Do not get a TCCD kit, I've heard bad things.

Forgive my ignorance, what is the TCCD kit? Just another brand name?

Taiwanese manufactured cylinder kit that, according to some parts dealers on this board, is prone to many problems.

hey

well i had a bi turbo on my bike when i bought it so i can't really compare anything to it but it seemed to run pretty damn smooth. also i've heard of an 80cc kit called the metrakit, dunno where you'd be able to buy it though...

Hey, so hooray for me - today I bought the Athena 70cc reed valve kit from mopedwarehouse. I'm thinking of supplimenting that with the TECHNO circuit exhaust from mopedfx.com. I've searched the forums and seen satisfied people with the techno. I dunno. Everyone around here rocks the biturbo, but I just don't like that chinsy looking gold pipe. But brushed chrome. Wowee. And it's got that nift-o curvey part. Wooo.

So, what, 300 miles of going 25? Can I put it on the centerstand and tape the throttle back? I can't imagine having Sheila back on the road, now faster than ever, and not being able to use it.

No, you need to break it in under load...with someone riding it. With varying revs, not going full throttle.

So...the damage required a new cylinder? Did they seize the engine due to lack of oil in the gas or something? And why'd you get new brake shoes?

No, it didn't require a new cylinder, but I wanted a speed kit anyways, and my tax refund showed up, so I went for it. I took the engine off and the piston has some massive carbon buildup on its top, and there's a crapload of carbon on the exhaust port, but aside from that it looks fine. I'm going to clean it and sell it, probably, along with the carb.

I needed new brake shoes before Sheila got nabbed.

You might want to hold onto your old engine. I might come in handy some day.

Yep, in case you seize your kit or something. Also, you might want to get someone to help you install the brake shoes, they're a huge pain. You put the springs on both shoe halves first, then pull them apart with all your might and slip them over the pegs.

I was thinking of rolling it off a cliff.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account