You know mopeds are getting more popular when....

Jamie Leonard /

...you get people constantly asking if you want to sell yours. :) Reached a new record - had 3 people in one trip ask me if I wanted to sell mine. Just pushing my jawa (project bike, not street legal currently as I don't have plates for it) to the place I'm borrowing to use as a workshop I had several people stop me... kind of nice to see lots of interest. :) (there has always been the odd one up here in toronto, but just recently they seem to have gotten WAY more popular)

Re: You know mopeds are getting more popular when.

I know what you mean. I had a guy ask me while at a red light if I was interested in selling mine. He even offered me $350 for it as is. Considering I only paid $20 for it and haven't spent more than $100 total (insurance, plates, gas, etc) I was somewhat although very slightly interested. Turned him down flat and rode away with a helluva grin.

Richard

Wayne Broderick /

People see my Targa, and ask if the Stereo and Airhorns are 'stock' and I've had people ask to buy it on the spot

Whats even worse is that everyone wants to ride yours around. I'm not saying that I don't let my friends cruise mine around sometimes, but I always feel uneasy especially since most of the parts I order are like 2,000 miles away, and sitting around for 2 weeks all strung out waiting for parts is the worst.

That's right Heyde! No one but an experienced `ped rider who cares about your bike should be allowed to ride it.I've got a great son and daughter in law,but when they asked to ride it I made them take a `crash course' and listen to a lot of my warnings before I let them go for a SHORT ride.Even with this,I came home to find the airbox kicked askew and throttle cable messed up because they let her sister,a tom-boy,try to kickstart it and go for a ride without my permission.I bit my tongue,fixed the `ped', and told my wife to make sure anybody asks me first before trying that again.I was glad they showed interest and so I didn't `chew on' anybody,although I felt like it.BYE!

What year Jawa do you have? I just picked up a 1976 Babetta. Do you know where to get any info on them. I have spark, cleaned the carb and muffler but can't get it started. I don't think it has points. Thanks for any info.

Jamie Leonard /

Mine's an '87 model so probably fairly different - first thing would be to pick up a service manual for yours (I think a few messages have mentioned places to order from on the web) which will give you more of an idea - also some good troubleshooting guides on here as well which will tell you what to check for.

Mine's running well enginewise, just have to work out the clutch kinks!

:)

if you have a spark then i would say your points are ok maybe you just need to set them.

Re: Other riders

Don:

It's an unwritten rule in the Harley World that you never ask to ride someone else's bike. If you do it shows you are not into the knowledge that a two- wheeler is more than transportation. Your life depends on it out on the road. Something not to be taken lightly.

If you allow the kids to ride yours, but make sure they are aware that mopeds are not toys. We make it look easy when we ride, but you know it takes all six senses to stay safe.

Jim C.

I'm not an "easy rider". I went for 200/300 yard dashes while i was rehabilitating the machine. Hadn't even been on a bicycle for five years. It all got smoother and easier as i relearned the two-wheel boogie. So i was about to go on vacation for a week..

I wanted to convert my friends to the wonderful world of mopeds, so i figure, "let them use it while i'm gone".. "Here's the bike, it's easy..." A minute later my friend's girlfriend proceeded to nearly kill herself and two parked cars 10 yards from where i was standing. I said, "i need to tune it up just a bit"; fortunately it did in fact die on the way home, so i didn't have to lie when i said i needed to work on it a little more.

Right,Jim! Thanks for the advice!We all need to be reminded sometimes,so I'll be a little more serious with them in the future.BYE!

Yeah,Rick.I guess we take coordination for granted.Like Jim says,we'll have to be careful even when we're trying to be nice and help someone else enjoy mopeding.BYE!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account