Custom ideas?

Pumapimp1 /

I'm one of those teenagers who loves nothing more than to fiddle with engines in the backyard. I love mopeds, and i decided to make use of that ol' Briggs & Stratton engine i have laying around. So, i found an old 20" BMX bike, and i got to work at the arc welder. well, a few weeks and about 900,000 welding rods later, i find myself with a rolling chassis if an extremely dull moped. It has good speed, but it's just like blah! So, here i am trying to find ways to spice up my ped. I've been looking into things, but everything just seems unoriginal or overdone.If you have any ideas, please post them, because i'm stuck here! Thanks- pumapimp

Re: Custom ideas?

Jeremiah Slayback /

If I was mechanically inclined whatsoever I would take a couple junk mopeds and mix and match. I have like 3 sittin around,but have no idea how to do it!

Re: Custom ideas?

XBrandon EdgeX /

Since you can weld, the possibilities are endless:

1. Chopper forks, Ape Hanger handlebars

2. Custom exhaust header (paint it with silver header paint.

3. Expanded metal over delicate parts

4. Spikes on any flat surface

5. Whitewall Cheng Shin tires.

6. If not chopper forks, some of those curved lowrider bike springer forks. (I'm actually thinking of putting a motor on my lowrider bike.)

7. High-backed seat.

8. Little skulls on all the bolts (oh, wait, you want something that's NOT overdone)

9. Motorcycle gas tank.

10. Some paint couldn't hurt.

11. Maybe some marker lights.

Although, I've been known to have some odd tastes as far as customizing things.

Herr Doktor Frankenstein ?

Reeperette /

>>If I was mechanically inclined whatsoever I would take a couple junk mopeds and mix and match. I have like 3 sittin around,but have no idea how to do it<<

Too bad you live in the wrong direction, most of my road trips are easterly in direction.

I tend to travel a bit, you see....and believe me, when it comes to mix&match mopeds, frankenstein is about right, tho I bet Fred could go one better on even me.

Anyhows, if any of my road trips do take me in the near vicinity, I could drop by and perhaps help you out on that....what you have, anyway ?

Puch and Tomos crossover quite a few parts, most moped carbs are damn near interchangeable, and anything Minarelli is easy as hell to work on, so are most Batavus motors.

Vespa/Piggacio<sp> ? is the one I consider a right pain in the ass, but that's mostly cause you hafta take the entire thing completely apart in order to work on it, even worse than a Tomos, and those are bad enough, having to dismount the transmission to GET to the Carb.

The Japanese and Euro mopeds don't cross over too many parts, of course, but there's a few, depending on what they are.

Most of "mechanical inclination" comes from getting over the fear of screwing it up, and understanding of the basic principles of how the damn thing works, really....and, like the old joke says.."practice, man...practice".

It's not like the junkers you have are running NOW, so, unless you're real hot to sell em, it's not like you can make the situation worse.

Take a coupla days, and a printout of Freds guide, and just mess with one of em.

I got into fixing my own cause of the expense and time of Labor on mopeds, usually done by clueless shmucks used to workin on Seadoo's, Snowmobiles and such - if necessity is the mother of invention, desperation is surely the father.

Give it a shot, what harm can it do ?

-Ree

Rat Bike Zone

You need to check out "The Rat Bike Zone"

Its mostly motorcycles... but there are a few peds in there too.

http://ratbike.org/

Go to "gallery' for some unusual creations... by the way..most of their owners consider their stuff to be a form of rolling mechanical sculpture.

It requires

mechanical skills, and

welding and fabricating skills

and if you want to get fancy..

then it also requires bodywork (fiberglas and bondo)

and paint.

the ratbike guys like flat black and DON"T like 'fancy'

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account