Batavus Pipe?

Hey,

Sorry about the Vespa question, I know its a scooter but everyone on here seems so knowledgeable. I'll check out the other site next time. Anyway, I am looking for any kind of high performance exhaust for my 77 Batavus Starflite. Does anybody know which brands out there might work?

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Batavus Pipe?

Miniengine /

Steve,

I'm writing a HOW TO article on my web site which will be ready for post sometime in July. It's really not that hard of a modification and I'll let you in on the preview. First you buy a Tomos 2 piece eurocylinder 60cc and 70cc speed kit Biturbo exhaust. Take the head tube that comes with the kit and cut 1 1/2" off the end of the tube. This 1 1/2" tube will be your adapter sleeve for your existing Batavus exhaust head tube. Slide the 1 1/2" tube over your Batavus head tube and slide the Biturbo muffler over the sleeve. Fabricate a mounting bracket for the Biturbo muffler at the rear wheel and your done. I'm in the process of experimenting with the length of the Batavus head tube to see where the most gain is at. If what I suspect is true, the Biturbo muffler will probably work best if mounted about as far away from the engine as the length of the Tomos head tube that comes with the kit. If this is true an adapter sleeve will have to be made to move the pedal away from the Biturbo muffler.

That's all the information I have now. I hope this helps.

Brian

Lamborn's Miniature Engines

http://www.geocities.com/miniengine

Re: Batavus Pipe?

Ron Brown /

Brian,

I noticed that the carb on my Starflight is only bored out to 5/16 between the slide and the manifold. The intake side of the venturi is 7/16 as is the manifold. Is your carb like this and if so, have you tried boring it out. This would appear to be the 25 mph restrictor.

By the way, I'm sure those dimensions are really metric but they are close.

Also, I have not tried to clean my muffler yet but it allready looks like it is much larger and free flowing than my Motobecanes and has removable baffles.

Ron

Carb.

Miniengine /

Ron,

I hope to answer your question soon. The volume of questions is starting to get to where I can't answer each individual question. It's almost like you guys know what my next move is on posting material to my web site. Just today I took a whole slew of pictures of carbs. and manifolds to add to the site. Please bear with me while I rush to get this stuff posted. Then we can help each other. You can help me as the proof reader by letting me know if I've explained the topic accurately and satisfactory and I can help you with the information I've discovered.

I posted preliminary insturctions on using a Tomos Biturbo muffler and have the film waiting for development. Pictures are worth a thousand words so it should be worth the wait.

Brian

Lamborn's Miniature Engines

http://www.geocities.com/miniengine

Re: Carb.

Ron Brown /

Brian,

Sounds good, let me know when it is up.

Ron

if your starflite is like my bingo with the laura m-48 engine, u can count the number of teeth on the belt pully conected to the peddles

11 teeth-20mph

12 teeth-25mph

13 teeth-30mph

Hi,Shmiver! Thanks for the info. on the teeth! I told you awhile back I just purchased a 1978 Starflite,and I've been wondering which one it is.(Haven't run it yet).Also,I'm interested in this restriction thing Ron is talking about.I want to learn all I can the easy way,and I know there's some things my manual isn't going to tell me.BYE!

Where are Batavus's made ?

Just curious.

Doesn't sound Italian... sounds Austrian.....?

Re: Where are Batavus's made ?

Hi,Fred! I may be wrong,but if my brain is not playing tricks on me I think they're from the Netherlands.I'm still trying to find out for sure,since I just purchased one recently.BYE!

Re: Where are Batavus's made ?

From what I've found out, Batavus was from Holland. They stopped making mopedsand parts around 1983 and stuck with bicycles. Apparently they make THE dutch bike since EVERYONE there seems to ride one. I've got the original manual for my HS-50 and it's got a Holland address on it from the import.

Richard

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account