What is a float? What's wrong with mine?

I've searched the archives here (I promise), yet I can't be sure. I've got a 77 sachs hercules. I'm having some problems with it--gas leaks, 4 cycling- so I take apart the carb, and I find the thing that 'floats' in the gas is all banged up. (This is the thing that pivots on one end, pushing a pin up. This is the float, yes?) My question is, how the hell does that happen? can 24 years just, umm, bang up floats like that?

And how could it possibly cost 20 bucks plus shipping to replace a little piece of metal with no moving parts like that? Resigned sigh

Thanks.

Re: What is a float? What's wrong with mine?

Ron Brown /

Justin,

In the olden days when gas contained lead, it would slosh around as you went over bumps and was so heavy it would dent the float. :-)

Seriously, this is usually a result of having water freeze in the float bowl, it is easier (and cheaper) for the ice to crush the float than to crack the float bowl.

Ron

>it is easier (and cheaper) for the ice to crush the float than to crack the float bowl.

Arr, so she was mistreated. Left to freeze with ice in there? What savage would do that, I ask you?

I suppose floats are engineered to break first, though, eh. Thanks.

GrosPingouin /

I would not say they were engineered like that. It is just they are usually foam or plastic with air inside, so they can be broken very easily.

Anyway, I dunno how much the floats for your little beast are, but you may want to look in your friendly bike junkyard for something with a similar-looking carb. =)Justin wrote:

Hi,Justin! Better get a new needle valve also and retaining spring if they froze it.Use to happen to my trowel machines because they were out in the weather so much.Call HANDY BIKES(614-299-0550) for a price on that float and needle valve,but 20.00 ain't too bad to get it up and runnin'.BYE!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account