how to fix rear brakes? and other puch issues

ok, i've been rebuilding a 1976 puch maxi for my sister. today, it started up. but there are some important issues that need attention.

mainly, the rear brake doesn't work. it's not an adjustment thing on the cable, since it seems to do all it should when the lever is squeezed. so ... i'm assuming it's something internal. the wheel spins freely even when the brake is pulled tight and the lever at the wheel moves as far as it can. how do i fix the internal parts of a brake? or is this a "replace the whole wheel" kind of thing?

also, i need to figure out a kill-switch. the bike is wired to run, but there are still tons of wires hanging around. any idea which one would kill the engine? i took a mean spill on it while test riding it since it eventually hit a good top speed and the brakes didn't engage.

finally, i need to know a simple, yet detailed way to put the throttle together. i put it in, and it works. but in reverse. this is because the throttle cable i have came attached to the carb. so i may have put the cable in backwards. it's also very very stiff. any ideas?

i'll check back later and add more specifics as needed. the rear brake is the critical thing at this moment (front brake now works). thanks.

Re: how to fix rear brakes? and other puch issues

XBrandon EdgeX /

The brakes:

If you take the back wheel off and remove the nut that makes contact with the hub on the left side (the side that the brake cable connects to) the whole side comes off and the brake pads and all the moving mechanisms are attached to that and slide out of the wheel in one piece.

The kill switch wire:

Touch different loose wires to the handlebars to ground it until you find the one that kills the engine, then just attach a switch from Radio Shack or something that grounds it to the handlebars.

Reverse throttle:

It's probably in the grip.

Take the twist grip apart by loosening the screw on the bottom of the staionary piece and sliding it off of the handlebars and then where the cable wraps around the grip insert, take it off and wrap it the other way and reattach the cable. The twist grip is kind of tricky to reattach to the stationary piece. they will attach when the two pieces are not connected to the handlebars, so monkey with it a bit and when it appears to be correct, slide it back on the handlebars and tighten it up.

Hope this isn't too complicated!

XBrandon EdgeX

brandon:

thanks. i'll look at the brakes tomorrow. what should i look for? how do i adjust the brake pads if they're just not grabbing right?

also, on the throttle cable. i put the assembly together myself. it's going backwards because that was the only way i could put the cable in. i can't get the cable end out of the carb, and had to go through that side. i put the cable in through the little hole and then it stuck in there. i think i put it in backwards? i can try to get it right w/ some practice. i hope i can ....

i'll work on the on/off switches. i have some, but i'm trying to find out which one grounds out quickly ... but trial and error is a surefire way ... in the long run.

i'll post again tomorrow after i hit another brick wall. any other opinions welcome. thanks.

Ron Brown /

Miguel,

After you get into the brake, it should be obvious what is wrong.

Can't help you on the throttle cable, don't know what your's looks like.

If you can see the coil terminals, one should have two wires, one of these goes to the points and the other one to the kill switch. You should be able to find this color up at the headlamp/handlebars.

Ron

XBrandon EdgeX /

I don't recall there being any way to adjust them internally, but greasing all the pivot points helps, just don't use too much. You don't want it to drip onto the pad surface.

any kind of grease in particular? mostly i just have two stroke ...

Ron Brown /

Miguel,

You should have some automotive "chassis" grease, not wheel bearing grease, to use for all of the bearings that do not specifically call for oil.

It is really cheap at auto parts stores.

On the brakes, only apply it to the parts that rub and use just enough to make the surface look wet. You may find that you have grease or oil on the friction surfaces from someoune over greasing the brake or bearings. Use a can of "Brake Cleaner" to remove this.

When you remove the shoes, it is often easier to remove both, with the springs in place. Make sure you put them back in thier original position.

Ron

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account